Explore new writing opportunities and events from the BBC and across the industry.
Our annual open submission opportunity for all writers aged 16 and over and resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- How and When to Send us a ScriptOur latest Script Room window closed at 5pm on Wednesday 6th January 2021 for the submission of Drama and Comedy Drama scripts. We'll let everyone know the outcome as soon as possible but this could take several months. When the next Script Room dates have been announced or the Script Room is open then full submission details will be included in the BBC Writersroom listings below.
BBC Comedy Association
From 2021, Comedy writer and writer/performer development is now part of the new BBC Comedy Association, which brings together all comedy outreach that is happening across the BBC under one strategy. This includes the Caroline Aherne Bursary, the Felix Dexter Bursary and the Galton & Simpson Bursary
We will no longer open a window specifically for Comedy script submissions or run further Comedy Room writer development groups via BBC Writersroom.
Interested in breaking into Comedy?
- Bitter Pill Theatre - The Painkiller ProjectSubmission windows every 2 months
The Painkiller Project is a playwriting project that runs every other month from Bitter Pill Theatre with a £200 prize for each winning play.
- British Comedy Guide - BCG Pro Video ContestDeadline: Quarterly submission windows with monthly winners
Each month, a panel of judges will select a sketch, which will be awarded £100 and shared with over 150,000 comedy fans via British Comedy Guide's social media platforms.
- The Customs House - PLAY Callout for scriptsDeadline: 25th May 2021 at 5pm
The Customs House in South Tyneside is thrilled to be able to offer a new opportunity for five writers to have 15 minutes of their play performed as a rehearsed reading by professional actors as part of an evening of new writing on Friday 11 June at 7.30pm.
- Down Stage Write - Write Out LoudDeadline: 5pm, 28th of May 2021
Down Stage Write are looking for LGBTQ+ writers based in Devon and Cornwall who are interested in writing for performance. From complete beginners to the more experienced, they want to work with you to develop a piece of writing for performance. The group of selected writers will meet for 8 workshop sessions to develop ideas and write in a supportive environment.
- Graeae Theatre - Script Submission WindowDeadline: 30th June 2021
Graeae's script submission window allows them to connect with Deaf, disabled, and neurodiverse playwrights who are new to them. Although it is unlikely that any script sent to them through the window will end up being produced by Graeae, every one of the plays submitted will receive detailed feedback. For some of you, this will mark the beginning of a lasting relationship with the company.
- The John Byrne AwardDeadline: Various
Deadlines: Monthly on the last day of each month for £250 prize, 31st January for annual £7500 prize. The John Byrne Award is an online exhibition and competition exploring personal and societal values. A single piece of creative work (any kind is accepted - Audio, Video, Imagery, Writing) can be entered. You must be living or studying in Scotland.
- The New Works Playhouse - Writer OpportunitiesDeadline for Writer Applications: 31st May 2021
The New Works Playhouse are currently accepting applications for performers and writers to become members and showcase their talent through online table reads and digital productions of new works submitted by their member writers.
- TYPE! - Micro playsRolling submissions
TYPE! is a new bookmark magazine looking for short/micro plays or screenplays (2-5 minutes in length) to feature in the next edition.
- UEA & FutureLearn - An Introduction to Screenwriting A free online course for new and experienced writers built by the University of East Anglia’s School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing on the FutureLearn platform.
- University of Southampton - Green Stories Writing CompetitionDeadline: 26th August 2021
Green Stories Writing Competitions solicit stories that embed green solutions in the context of an engaging plot aimed at a mainstream audience. The next competition asks for TV/Radio scripts.
- The Women's Prize for PlaywritingDeadline: 5pm on Monday 12th July 2021
The Women’s Prize for Playwriting is an open invitation to all writers who identify as female in the UK and Republic of Ireland to create vivid, exciting, and brave new work for the stage.
Do you have an Opportunity that you would like us to include on this page?
Please visit our Opportunities Listing Requests page for full details of the information we require and how to get in touch.
Our remit is scriptwriting so in general we can't promote opportunities or events from organisations outside the BBC which are for novel writing, short stories, poetry etc.
We can only promote opportunities and events which are free for writers to enter or attend and don't ask for payment from writers at any stage.