Welcome to BBC Writersroom
We discover, develop and champion new and experienced writing talent across the whole of the UK.
- Element Pictures NI Writers Award 2021New opportunity for writers who can represent Northern Ireland with authenticity from Element Pictures (the makers of Normal People), BBC Writersroom and BBC Drama Commissioning.
- What is Comedy Drama?Get advice over on our blog, including why it helps you as a writer if you can define your writing & its intentions.
- The BreakBold new short form drama on BBC Three, written by up-and-coming talent from across the UK. Stream the new series now on BBC iPlayer.
Writer DevelopmentSee our Groups
Latest OpportunitiesView all Opportunities
- Element Pictures, BBC Writersroom and BBC Drama Commissioning - Element Pictures NI Writers Award 2021 Deadline: 12 noon on Thursday 8th July 2021
Element Pictures (Normal People, The Favourite), BBC Writersroom and BBC Drama Commissioning are looking for the next generation of television writers who have bold and original stories to tell. To be eligible for this scheme, you must be able to represent Northern Ireland with authenticity (for example you may be from there or have lived/worked there). You must also be confident that you can demonstrate a clear understanding of the culture, telling relevant stories in a fresh and original way.
- The Women's Prize for Playwriting Deadline: 5pm on Monday 12th July 2021
The Women’s Prize for Playwriting is an open invitation to all writers who identify as female in the UK and Republic of Ireland to create vivid, exciting, and brave new work for the stage.
- Graeae Theatre - Script Submission Window Deadline: 30th June 2021
Graeae's script submission window allows them to connect with Deaf, disabled, and neurodiverse playwrights who are new to them. Although it is unlikely that any script sent to them through the window will end up being produced by Graeae, every one of the plays submitted will receive detailed feedback. For some of you, this will mark the beginning of a lasting relationship with the company.
What We DoMore about What We Do
- About BBC WritersroomFind out more about our work and our offices across the UK.
- How we can (and can't) develop your writingFind out on our blog.
- Script RoomScript Room is our main open submission opportunity for all writers aged 16 and over and resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- SuccessesHear about some of our success stories, including competition and award winners, commissions and events.
New in the Script Library...Visit the Script Library
- Line of Dutyby Jed Mercurio. Bent coppers and the detectives sent to stop them. AC-12 isn't here to make friends. Now including Series 6.
- Normal Peopleby Sally Rooney and Alice Birch. Marianne and Connell weave in and out of each other’s lives in this exploration of sex, power and the desire to love and be loved. Adaptation of Sally Rooney’s best-selling novel.
- Usby David Nicholls. Three weeks, six countries - one divorce? Sometimes you need to spend time together to see why you're falling apart.
- The Salisbury Poisoningsby Adam Patterson and Declan Lawn. In March 2018 Salisbury became the site of an unprecedented national emergency. This three-part dramatisation focuses on the extraordinary heroism shown by the local community.
- Noughts and Crossesby various writers. In a dystopian London, Sephy and Callum fall in love despite the odds. Can they breach the divide between the black elite and white underclass? Based on Malorie Blackman's novels.
- The Nestby Nicole Taylor. A couple find out how far they are willing to go to have a baby. Emotional thriller about love, trust and the true cost of buying whatever you want.
- Industryby Mickey Down and Konrad Kay. Prove your worth. Five graduates want a job at a top investment bank - but the boundaries between colleague, lover and enemy blur.
- Silent Witnessby various writers. Forensic pathologists face personal and professional challenges in a moody, tense thriller that moves from the crime scene to the lab.
Be InspiredView our Be Inspired resources
- Watch InterviewsGet inspiration and top tips from writers and industry professionals in our series of video interviews.
- PodcastDownload and listen to our free podcast, including interviews with some the UK's leading screenwriters.
- Scriptwriting EssentialsWatch a series of eight videos covering the essentials of writing a successful script, from introductions to rewriting.
- Pitches, Treatments, OutlinesWhat are they? And why should you learn to love them? Plus other great advice on our blog.