Welcome to BBC Writersroom
We discover, develop and champion new and experienced writing talent across the whole of the UK.
- Listen to 4 new short dramasBy writers from our development groups and commissioned by BBC Radio 3's The Verb.
- Scottish Drama Writers' ProgrammeScreen Scotland, BBC Drama Commissioning and BBC Writersroom announce the Scottish Drama Writers’ Programme 2021. The programme has partnered Scottish based writers with Independent production companies to develop bold, authentic network drama for the BBC.
- The Alfred Bradley Bursary Award - Longlist AnnouncedFind out which 21 writers have reached the longlist from over 300 entries.
Writer DevelopmentSee our Groups
Latest OpportunitiesView all Opportunities
- NewsjackSubmissions open at midday on: Friday 19th February 2021| Sketches Deadline: Midday on Mondays from 22nd February to 15th March | One-Liners: Midday on Tuesdays from 23rd February to 16th March 2021
Newsjack the Radio 4 Extra topical news sketch show, which anyone can write for, is again looking for writers to submit sketches and one-liners for its 24th series.
- Theatre503 - 503FiveDeadline for submissions: 12 noon on Monday 15th March 2021
The 503Five is an 18 month residency supported by the Carne Trust and Orseis Trust offering writers the opportunity to find their creative home at Theatre503, develop work and experience being at the heart of a new writing theatre.
- Windsor Fringe - Kenneth Branagh Award for New Drama Writing Deadline: 5th March 2021
Amateur playwrights world-wide are invited to submit unpublished one-act plays. Three winning scripts will be selected for fully staged performances during the Windsor Fringe Festival in October 2021. One of the three scripts will be chosen for the £500 prize, judged purely on the writing.
What We DoMore about What We Do
- About BBC WritersroomFind out more about our work and our offices across the UK.
- How we can (and can't) develop your writingFind out on our blog.
- Script RoomScript Room is our main open submission opportunity for all writers aged 16 and over and resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- SuccessesHear about some of our success stories, including competition and award winners, commissions and events.
New in the Script Library...Visit the Script Library
- Normal Peopleby Sally Rooney and Alice Birch. Marianne and Connell weave in and out of each other’s lives in this exploration of sex, power and the desire to love and be loved. Adaptation of Sally Rooney’s best-selling novel.
- The Splitby Abi Morgan. A divorce lawyer throws her relationships into turmoil when she leaves the family firm.
- Usby David Nicholls. Three weeks, six countries - one divorce? Sometimes you need to spend time together to see why you're falling apart.
- The Salisbury Poisoningsby Adam Patterson and Declan Lawn. In March 2018 Salisbury became the site of an unprecedented national emergency. This three-part dramatisation focuses on the extraordinary heroism shown by the local community.
- Noughts and Crossesby various writers. In a dystopian London, Sephy and Callum fall in love despite the odds. Can they breach the divide between the black elite and white underclass? Based on Malorie Blackman's novels.
- The Nestby Nicole Taylor. A couple find out how far they are willing to go to have a baby. Emotional thriller about love, trust and the true cost of buying whatever you want.
- Industryby Mickey Down and Konrad Kay. Prove your worth. Five graduates want a job at a top investment bank - but the boundaries between colleague, lover and enemy blur.
- Silent Witnessby various writers. Forensic pathologists face personal and professional challenges in a moody, tense thriller that moves from the crime scene to the lab.
Be InspiredView our Be Inspired resources
- Watch InterviewsGet inspiration and top tips from writers and industry professionals in our series of video interviews.
- PodcastDownload and listen to our free podcast, including interviews with some the UK's leading screenwriters.
- Scriptwriting EssentialsWatch a series of eight videos covering the essentials of writing a successful script, from introductions to rewriting.
- Pitches, Treatments, OutlinesWhat are they? And why should you learn to love them? Plus other great advice on our blog.