BBC Young Reporter registration privacy notice
Version: 13 September 2021
Your trust is very important to us. This means the BBC is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data. It is important that you read this notice so that you are aware of how and why we are using such data. This privacy notice describes how we collect and use your personal data during and after your relationship with us, in accordance with data protection law.
About BBC Young Reporter and how to participate.
BBC Young Reporter works in partnership with schools, colleges, youth organisations to provide young people exciting opportunities to get involved with the BBC. You can find out more about BBC Young Reporter on the website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/youngreporter.
If you want your organisation or group to get involved, you can register with BBC Young Reporter via the BBC Young Reporter online registration form: https://www.bbc.co.uk/send/u58606905.
The BBC will collect your personal data for the purposes of producing and broadcasting “Young Reporter”. The BBC production team will collect your personal data via an online platform used by the BBC.
What data the BBC collects and how we use it.
The BBC will collect and process the following personal data that you provide to us via the online registration form:
Personal data about you:
- Your first and last name;
- Your contact number (if you provide it);
- Your work email address;
- Your job title.
Data about your organisation and its young people:
- Your organisation’s name;
- Your organisation’s address;
- The type of organisation (a school, a college, a youth organisation or other);
- The category your organisation fits into (e.g. LGBTQ+, media, sports);
- The website or social media profile of the organisation;
- The number of young people at your organisation participating in BBC Young Reporter activities;
- The age range of the young people at your organisation participating in BBC Young Reporter activities;
- Whether your organisation would like to have a BBC Young Reporter Ambassador.
When we've collected your personal data, here's how we use it:
- With your permission, we will contact you with BBC Young Reporter news, event invitations and reporting opportunities using the contact details you’ve provided;
- If you have provided us with the additional consent, we may also contact you with event and programme contribution invitations from other BBC departments;
- We track the emails we send, record when an email is opened, and which links are clicked to monitor the effectiveness of our communications, analyse our marketing performance and improve our service. The data from this tracking is generally used in an aggregated and anonymised form;
- We use the data collected to help us target the most appropriate organisations and young people for the communications we send.
Who is the Data Controller?
The BBC is the “data controller” of the personal data about you. This means that the BBC decides what your personal data is used for, and the ways in which it is processed. For the avoidance of doubt, your personal data will be collected and processed solely for the purposes set out in this privacy notice. As the data controller, the BBC has the responsibility to comply, and to demonstrate compliance with, data protection law.
Lawful basis for processing your personal data.
We rely on our legitimate interest to use the personal data about you to track and monitor the effectiveness of our communications and marketing performance and improve our services we provide to you.
When we contact you via email or phone about BBC Young Reporter or with opportunities from other areas of the BBC, the lawful basis for this processing is called consent. We can do this because you have given us permission to do so via our online registration form.
Retaining your information.
The BBC will retain your information for five (5) years. Towards the end of the retention period, we will contact you to confirm whether you wish to re-register with BBC Young Reporter.
You can unsubscribe from BBC Young Reporter by following the unsubscribe link in our emails, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be stored within the UK and the EEA.
Sharing your information.
The BBC works with our approved suppliers who help us to provide some of our services. These data processors only use your personal data on behalf of the BBC and not independently of the BBC. We use a third-party data storage provider to store the data collected through our online platform.
If required by law, we will also share your personal data with third parties.
Your rights and more information.
You have rights under data protection law.
You can request a copy of the personal data BBC stores about you.
You have the right to ask for the personal data we collect about you to be deleted however there are limitations and exceptions to this right which may entitle the BBC to refuse your request.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data or to object to the processing of your personal data.
You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal data to you or to another organisation, in certain circumstances.
You can contact our Data Protection Officer if you have questions or you wish to find out more details about your rights, please visit the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy. Please note that the description of the personal data collected and how it is used set out in this notice applies to the exclusion of anything to the contrary set out in the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy.
If you have a concern about the way the BBC has handled your personal data, you can raise your concern with the supervisory authority in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) (https://ico.org.uk/).
If you have any questions about the BBC Young Reporter project, please contact us at email@example.com.
Updating this privacy notice.
We will revise the privacy notice if there are significant changes to how we use your personal data. The date of the most recent revisions will appear on this page.