The guide covers safeguarding, legal pitfalls, taste and decency, copyright, privacy and social media.
- Safeguarding: no surnames
- Taste and decency: don’t report anything which makes you uncomfortable
- Defamation: report the facts, not rumours
- Criminal law: avoid crime stories
- Copyright: only use your own photos, music etc
- Privacy: ask yourself 'If that were me, would I want it recorded and broadcast?'
- Social media: this is a core part of journalism and story sharing now but it’s also a potential minefield. A key thing to remember is that social media accounts are for people aged 13 and over.
Download - Keeping Your News Safe and Legal PDF