Jean Sibelius - Finlandia - Instrumental arrangements
Arrangements suitable for orchestral instruments, for beginners up to Grade 5. All parts have been designed to work together to enable mixed-ability groups to perform together.
- Violin | Viola | Cello | Double bass | Guitar
- Flute | Clarinet in B♭ | Alto saxophone | Oboe | Bassoon
- Trumpet in B♭ | Trombone | Trombone in B♭ | Tenor horn | Horn in F | Euphonium | Tuba
- Timpani | Triangle/Cymbals | Glockenspiel
- Download all of the intermediate parts in one .zip file
- Intermediate full scores
- 1st Violin | 2nd Violin | Viola | Cello | Double bass
- Flute | 2nd Flute | Clarinet in B♭ | Alto Saxophone | Oboe | Bassoon
- Trumpet in B♭ | Trombone | Trombone in B♭ | Tenor horn | Horns in F | Euphonium | 2nd Euphonium | Tuba | Bass in B♭ (tuba)]http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/tenpieces/arrangements/sibelius/BassinBbGrade%2045.pdf)
- Download all of the Grade 4-5 parts in one .zip file
- Grade 4-5 full score
Notes from the arranger
By Iain Farrington
All parts have been designed to work together to enable mixed-ability groups to perform together. A certain amount of simplification has been required to adapt the pieces for mixed-ability. Some pieces have been cut to allow a 3-5 minute general duration and to remove especially difficult passages of music. A successful rendering of each piece would require the essential melodic material and bass line which are often in the Grades 4/5 parts, especially in the piano.
There are scores for each difficulty level plus three other scores for each piece: 1.Grouped according to ability 2.Grouped according to instrument type 3.'Short score' in C, grouped according to ability
There are three ability levels – beginner, intermediate (Grades 1-3) and Grades 4-5.
Flute parts can be played by the violins ◾Oboe parts can be played by the flutes and violins ◾Trumpet parts (in Bb) can be played by the clarinets ◾Violin parts can be played by the flutes (except when in the lowest register) ◾The 'percussion' part is a beginner part and can be played on any drum. It adds a simple rhythm layer to each piece. Timpani and full percussion parts are for intermediate or Grades 4/5
Finlandia: This has been transposed down a semitone for ease of performance and to allow use of open strings. Note values have been halved in the first section until the Allegro at letter D (4/4 rather than 2/2) to allow counting in crotchets rather than minims. There are cuts from bars 39-50, 62-69, 78-81, 132-155 from the original.