Mason Bates - Anthology of Fantastic Zoology – Sprite; A Bao A Qu - Instrumental arrangements
Arrangements suitable for orchestral instruments, for beginners up to Grade 5. All parts have been designed to work together to enable mixed-ability groups to perform together.
- 1st Violin | 2nd Violin | Viola | Cello | Double bass
- Flute | 2nd Flute | Clarinet in B♭ | Alto saxophone | Oboe | Bassoon
- Trumpet in B♭ | Trombone | Trombone in B♭ | Tenor horn | Horn in F | Euphonium | Tuba | Bass in B♭ (tuba)
- Glockenspiel | Percussion
- Download all of the Grade 4-5 parts in one .zip file
- Grade 4-5 full score
Notes from the arranger
By Iain Farrington
All parts have been designed to work together to enable mixed-ability groups to perform together. A certain amount of simplification has been required to adapt the pieces for mixed-ability. Some pieces have been cut to allow a 3-5 minute general duration and to remove especially difficult passages of music. A successful rendering of each piece would require the essential melodic material and bass line which are often in the Grades 4/5 parts, especially in the piano.
There are scores for each difficulty level plus three other scores for each piece:
- Grouped according to ability
- Grouped according to instrument type
- 'Short score' in C, grouped according to ability
There are three ability levels – beginner, intermediate (Grades 1-3) and Grades 4-5.
- Flute parts can be played by the violins
- Oboe parts can be played by the flutes and violins
- Trumpet parts (in B♭) can be played by the clarinets.
- Violin parts can be played by the flutes (except when in the lowest register)
- The 'percussion' part is a beginner part and can be played on any drum. It adds a simple rhythm layer to each piece. Timpani and full percussion parts are for intermediate or Grades 4/5
Sprite: This arrangement is for intermediate and Grade 4/5 only, owing to the complexity of the piece. There is a cut from bar 37 to bar 65 in the original.