Percent and fractions: Fractions
Fractions represent different amounts of a whole. For example, ½ ⅓ ¼.
Quick tips for tutors
- Information about commonly used fractions
- Strategies for recognising, reading, writing and calculating fractions
- Key vocabulary used to describe fractions and parts of a whole
- A fraction wall to aid comparison of fractions
- Fractions practice activities
Recognising fractions in words
How to recognise fractions when they're written in words and why it's useful
Are these fractions equivalent to half?
Exercise in working out fractions from shaded parts of shapes.
Change recipes using fractions
Exercise in using fractions to adapt recipes for more or fewer people.
Spotting fractions that can't be simplified
Exercise in finding out whether it's possible to simplify any of ten given fractions.
Converting between improper fractions and mixed numbers
Exercise in choosing the correct supplied calculations to convert between improper fractions and mixed numbers.
Simplifying fractions to whole numbers
Exercise in recognising fractions that can be simplified to whole numbers.
Exercise in recognising fractions that can be simplified and that are larger than 1.