KS2 Music: Viking Saga Songs
Viking Saga Songs is an opportunity for children to join in with songs, stories and music-making inspired by the gods and goddesses of Viking mythology. The songs explore the atmosphere and excitement of the Viking world while being rooted in familiar modern styles, such as reggae, rock and lyrical ballads. The songs also link closely with the story episodes…making this an ideal resource for exploring the history theme The Vikings through both music and literacy.
Click here for the Teacher's Notes - a comprehensive guide to the content.
Click here for a guide to the music objectives covered in Viking Saga Songs.
The content for Viking Saga Songs is structured on the seven songs to learn. Each song appears on its own dedicated page and includes the following resources:
- Song tutorial video - join Nigel Pilkington to learn the song
- Karaoke full vocal version of the song (for rehearsal)
- Karaoke backing track version of the song (for performance)
- A video of the story episode that links to the song
- A passage of listening music linking to the music focus of the song, usually about 1 minute long
- Lyrics to display or download
- Music to display
- A transcript of the story episode
- Notes describing the content of the tutorial and how best to use it
- The Pupils' Pamphlet with all lyrics, information and activities
Additionally there is a Clips page where all of the video content has been aggregated and an Audio downloads page where you can download mp3 files of the vocal and backing track versions of the songs.
Use the Tutorial video to begin learning each song: Nigel Pilkington guides pupils through each song methodically, giving extra attention to any difficult passages or activities in groups.
Use the Story video to watch an episode of the story. Each episode links to the song on the same page and is about 5 minutes long.
Use the Full vocal and Backing track versions of the songs to rehearse them in preparation for a performance.
The Viking Sagas
The stories are drawn from Norse mythology and are told for us by Loki - shape-changing, mischievous friend of Odin. The first saga - Odin creates the world - is a single episode which serves as an introduction to the Viking world. In the second - Freya and the goblins - we follow the goddess on a visit to the goblins. The third saga - Thor and the giants - is an adventure set in Jotunheim, home of the giants. And the final saga - The apples of Iduna - is an extended narrative, with many twists and turns.