KS2 Music: Rocking Romans!
Welcome to Rocking Romans! Music, laughter… and your favourite Roman TV programmes!
Rocking Romans! is a musical play for primary schools celebrating the time of the Romans in Britain. The playscript has been written by Michael Coleman - based on his sketches for our series The Romans - and is ideal for the top end of primary school, though it also includes plenty of opportunities to include younger members of the school. The playscript includes songs written and composed by Barry Gibson, with additional material by Michael Coleman.
Rocking Romans! is free to download as either a pdf file (landscape format) or a Word document (portrait format). The online resources supporting the playscript are all also free to download and include:
- all the audio cues included in the playscript (the backing tracks of the songs plus incidental music and sound effects) - as a zip file (49.3 MB)
- all the lyrics for the nine songs
- the music for each song
- the full-vocal arrangements of the songs to download as mp3 files (see 'Related links')
- karaoke-style videos for the full vocal and backing track versions of each of the songs - found below
- a comprehensive set of guidance notes, including suggestions for stage backdrops that will really enhance your performance
A set of performance notes - with ideas for effective staging of the scenes and plenty of practical advice on how to rehearse the show
The complete package of supporting resources will help your group to rehearse and stage a really memorable performance of the play. The script has also been written with the aim of providing a large number of (small) speaking roles for both boys and girls and plenty of opportunities to join with singing as an ensemble and with movement and dance.
It's another complete off-the-shelf, ready-to-use, musical resource!
Learn the songs for Rocking Romans! by joining in with the vocal and backing track videos. There are songs about Roman customs, Roman gods and goddesses, Roman pastimes, Roman buildings, Roman art and culture. Each of the songs has a lyric sheet and a music sheet. Each of the songs features in the playscript of 'Rocking Romans!' There is also a set of Performance Notes with guidance on how best to learn and perform the 'Rocking Romans!' songs.