Literacy Live Lesson 2 - KS2 / First & Second Level
Presenter and journalist Ayshah Tull and professional poet Mark Grist, explore the world of poetry.
Together with special guest poets Rachel Rooney, Harry Baker and Levi Tafari, they explore different styles and structures of poetry writing.
There’s even an exclusive poem from Mark himself for the Live Lessons audience.
This is part of a series of weekly Live Lessons for Autumn 2020, designed to support children in catching up on literacy and numeracy as they return to school after lockdown.
Each week, we published two lessons, one for KS1/First Level and one for KS2/First & Second Level. The lessons are designed for use in the classroom, but are also suitable to be used at home should schools be closed again.
Please note that this lesson was published in 2020 and we are no longer reviewing emails and messages from schools for inclusion in the lesson or on the page.
Children are encouraged to:
- Explore different poems and discuss their structure and poetical devices
- Identify features of poetry (for example alliteration/repetition/metaphors) and comment on the impact these have on the reader/listener
- Experiment with language and play with words/writer’s deliberate word choice
- Write a poem in the style of a poet
- Evaluate how different poets perform their poems.
Supporting resources from Twinkl
This Live Lesson is supported by free teaching resources from Twinkl. Download today using the links below: