PSHE KS3/4: Surviving abuse - Danni's story
Stacey Dooley interviews a young mother who has escaped an abusive relationship. The woman, Danni, is now living in fear of her jealous boyfriend returning to the family home.
She kept going back to him despite advice from all her family and friends.
After repeated attempts to lower her self-esteem through emotional and verbal abuse he attacks her by penetrating her top teeth through her bottom lip which results in her going to hospital.
With only two months to go before he is released from prison, a panic door is fitted to protect her and her kids from him.
This clip is from the series Beaten By My Boyfriend.
This clip could be used to start a discussion on the subject of domestic abuse and unhealthy relationships;
- How did Danni’s abuser gradually take control over Danni?
- What was his motivation for being that way?
- To what extent do you agree or disagree with Danni’s conclusion ('once an abuser, always an abuser')?
- What advice would you give if you were Danni’s friend?
- What action would you take if you were in an abusive relationship like Danni?
Students could use the internet to look up charities that could help, and make a leaflet informing people where they could get help if they were being abused.
Suitable for teaching PSHE at KS3 and KS4/GCSE Level in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and National 4 and 5 in Scotland.