English Literature / Drama GCSE: Macbeth - Act 2, Scene 2 - Hearing noises (workshop)
Macbeth’s guilty conscience causes him to hear terrifying sounds.
The cast explore how Lady Macbeth takes control of the situation.
This short film is from the BBC series, Shakespeare Unlocked.
This short film offers further insight into the characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth and the immediate consequences that the murder of Duncan has on both of them and their relationship.
As a whole class discuss:
- What noises does Macbeth imagine he hears in this scene?
- Does Lady Macbeth imagine any sounds?
- What noises are real and heard by both characters?
- What meaning does Macbeth make of the noises he hears, real and imaginary?
- What does he think will happen as a result of what he hears?
This short film is suitable for teaching GCSE English literature and drama in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and National 4/ 5 in Scotland.