BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality 2016: Terms and conditions
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year will be named during a live awards show at Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff, on Monday, 5 December 2016.
The nominations processes, criteria and voting details (where applicable) for each award are outlined below.
MAIN AWARD - NOMINATION PROCESS & CRITERIA
This award goes to the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the public's imagination during 2016.
An expert panel (hereafter 'the Panel') will be convened in November 2016 in Cardiff to decide the shortlist of sportspeople for the BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year award.
The BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year production team will provide the Panel with an extensive list of the top sportspeople from 2016, including information on their achievements. The Panel will be free to consider other potential candidates.
The Panel will comprise five members this year:
Nigel Walker (chair)
Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson
The Panel will select a short list of sportspeople for the main award on the basis of the following criteria:
• Reflects Wales' sporting achievements on the national and/or international stage;
• Represents the breadth and depth of sport in Wales; and
• Takes into account 'impact' over and beyond the sport or sporting achievement in question.
Sports people are eligible to win the main BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year award if they represent or are eligible to represent Wales at international sport.
Non-playing coaches or management are not eligible.
The Panel will endeavour to produce a shortlist based on reaching a consensus view. If a consensus view cannot be reached on all or some of the candidates, then the Panel will be asked to vote for the remaining candidates. In the event of a tied vote, the chair's decision will be binding.
The shortlist of contenders will be announced during BBC Wales Today on BBC One Wales, on Newyddion 9, on S4C and BBC Radio Wales and BBC Radio Cymru later in November, and will also appear on the BBC Wales Sport and BBC Cymru Fyw websites at this time.
The Panel will also:
• Undertake a back-up vote for the main award (in the unlikely event of voting difficulties on the night of the show) by using the following criteria:
• If the public vote has to be stopped due to technical difficulties or evidence of voting irregularities, either the 1 - 2 - 3 decided by the judges for this purpose at their meeting, or the endorsement of the votes cast at the time of the public vote being stopped, depending on the specific circumstances, will, at the discretion of the judges, be applied to decide the first three places.
MAIN AWARD - PUBLIC VOTE
The public will decide the winner from the shortlist of contenders from Monday 28 November - Saturday 3 December 2016 inclusive with a vote. This will be overseen by an independent adjudicator.
In the unlikely event of:
• A tie in the public vote amongst the two contenders obtaining the highest number of votes, the award will be shared amongst those two. There will be no award in second place category and the third place category award will go to the contender scoring highest after the two in the tie.
• A tie in the public vote amongst the three contenders obtaining the highest number of votes, the award will be shared amongst the three and there will be no awards in second and third place categories.
• A tie in the public vote amongst two contenders obtaining the second highest number of votes, the second place award will be shared amongst those two and there will be no award in third place category.
• A tie in the public vote amongst two contenders obtaining the third highest number of votes, the third place award will be shared amongst those two.
• The public vote having to be stopped due to technical difficulties or evidence of voting manipulation, either the 1-2-3 decided by the judges for this purpose at their meeting or the endorsement of the voting table at the time of the vote being stopped, depending on the specific circumstances, will, at the discretion of the judges, be applied to decide the first three places.
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
This award honours someone who has made a major impact on the world of sport in Wales during their lifetime. It is decided by the panel of judges as described above. The award will be presented live on the Wales Sport Awards programme on Monday 5 December, 2016.