Nick Kyrgios has been replaced by Bernard Tomic in Australia's Davis Cup squad to face Great Britain in their semi-final tie next week in Glasgow.
Kyrgios, 20, was fined and given a suspended ban for comments made towards Swiss player Stan Wawrinka in August.
Tomic, 22, was dropped from the Davis Cup team in July after criticising Tennis Australia.
Meanwhile, James Ward faces competition from Kyle Edmund for the second singles spot in Britain's team.
Both have been named in the five-man team alongside world number three Andy Murray and doubles specialists Jamie Murray and Dom Inglot.
The tie takes place from 18-20 September at the Emirates Arena and is live across the BBC.
|BBC Sport tennis correspondent Russell Fuller:|
|"It's very clear that Ward's exceptional victory over John Isner in the first-round tie in Glasgow will not guarantee him a place in the line-up. Edmund has overtaken him in the rankings, and on Tuesday Ward suffered his 10th consecutive defeat since Wimbledon.|
|Captain Leon Smith won't finalise his line up until he's watched both men in practice next week, but will be very concerned about Ward's latest defeat in France to a player ranked outside the world's top 400."|
Australia captain Wally Masur, who named Lleyton Hewitt, Sam Groth and Thanasi Kokkinakis alongside Tomic, said the absence of Kyrgios from the line-up was by mutual agreement so he could focus on his personal and professional development.
Kyrgios was booed during a fourth-round Wimbledon defeat by Richard Gasquet, where he appeared to stop trying and clashed with the umpire.
But after a first-round defeat by Murray at the US Open, the Australian said he was learning to "keep his mouth shut".
Masur said: "After some good healthy discussion with Nick and his team we have agreed on a plan to help him develop all aspects of his game and ensure a long and successful future in the sport. Next week's tie has come a bit too soon for him and is not in that plan."
Tomic's inclusion comes after a series of fall-outs with Tennis Australia.
The federation withdrew funding from Tomic and his 17-year-old sister in June amid a dispute with their father John, while the world number 24 accused the governing body of abandoning him after he had hip surgery last year.
Tomic apologised in July after being charged with resisting arrest and trespassing by police after an incident at a Miami Beach hotel.
Masur added: "The focus has been on helping Bernie understand the consequences of his actions and then assessing how serious he is about committing to a consistent effort to improve his behaviour.
"So far he has demonstrated a will to change and backed that up with his actions. But it is a long road and he is now very acutely aware of the consequences of any future transgressions. He has been selected with this understanding in mind and, it is fair to say, very little room for error in the future."