Wimbledon 2011: Andy Murray beats Gimeno-Traver in four sets

By Piers NewberyBBC Sport at Wimbledon

Andy Murray reached the second round despite heavy rain at Wimbledon as he battled past Daniel Gimeno-Traver under the Centre Court roof.

The British number one began his campaign for a first Grand Slam title with a 4-6 6-3 6-0 6-0 win over Spain's world number 59.

After dropping the first set, Murray finally broke in the second and raced to victory with 15 games in a row.

He will face Slovenian Blaz Kavcic or Germany's Tobias Kamke in round two.

Kamke was leading 6-3 7-6 1-5 on Court Six when rain hit the All England Club.

Murray will have the advantage of a full day's rest before he takes on the winner, although he might be thankful for making round two at all after a surprisingly tough opening match.

An apparently slow Centre Court surface, Gimeno-Traver's early serving prowess and his own tentativeness combined to make life difficult for the Scot.

Murray had won their only previous encounter on the ATP Tour two years ago, as well as a match at the lower Challenger level back in 2005, and there was nothing to suggest clay-courter Gimeno-Traver would pose a threat.

However, after an early break point went begging and he failed to make the breakthrough, Murray became increasingly tentative - and he paid the price.

Two break points at 4-4 were seen off with big serves but a poor forehand gave up a third chance, and the Scot pulled an awkward forehand into the tramlines before Gimeno-Traver served out the set.

The drama was in danger of becoming a crisis in the second after Gimeno-Traver saved two more break points at the start with nerveless serving, and Murray missed two backhands on break points in game eight.

Finally, the pressure paid off when Murray forced his man back on his sixth break point of the match and Gimeno-Traver could only send the ball floating over the baseline, with the relief plain to see as the Briton closed out the set moments later.

Suddenly unburdened by the pressure of the previous 80 minutes, Murray raced into a 5-0 lead in the third set and only a lengthy injury time-out for attention to Gimeno-Traver's knee interrupted the flow.

But Murray was now fully focused and he came straight back out to finish off a totally dominant love set before powering on in the fourth.

An improvised backhand half-volley and a piledriver down the line helped him move 4-0 clear in the third before another break followed, allowing Murray to make it 15 games in succession when he chased down a drop shot on match point.

"I didn't think I started that badly, but he was hitting the ball very, very big," Murray, who beat Stanislas Wawrinka under the roof two years ago, told BBC Sport.

"But once I got ahead, I relaxed and played very well. There were a lot of rallies and I learned a few things out there.

"I started making more first-serve returns and then started playing better. It is different under the roof - there are no elements to contend with, so they are good conditions to play under."