Shinty: Newtonmore stay two points clear of nearest rivals Oban Camanachd

Glenurquhart won 3-1 against Kingussie
Glenurquhart are fourth bottom of the Premiership table after they won 3-1 against Kingussie

Newtonmore took another step towards a seventh consecutive Marine Harvest Premiership title with a 5-0 home victory over Lovat.

Oban Camanachd maintained their perhaps forlorn league challenge with a 4-1 defeat of already relegated Fort William at Mossfield Park.

Glenurquhart took a step towards safety with a 3-1 home win over Kingussie.

Lochaber also eased away from the relegation zone when they beat Kinlochshiel 4-2 at Spean Bridge.

Skye lost distance in the race against relegation with a 4-2 defeat by Kyles in Portree.

Neil Stewart laid the foundations of Newtonmore's victory with a goal in each half while Norman Campbell and Evan Menzies made it 3-0 at half time. Fraser MacKintosh rounded off Newtonmore's decisive victory midway through the second half.

The Kiltarlity side entered their final week as Camanachd Cup holders and will pass the trophy on either to Newtonmore or Oban Camanachd who meet in Fort William on 17 September.

Daniel MacVicar got the only goal of the first half for Oban at Mossfield and Graham Campbell equalised for Fort just after the restart. Daniel Cameron, Scott MacMillan and Malcolm Clarke then gave Camanachd a comfortable victory.

However, they are still two points behind Newtonmore with two more games played.

Lochaber's bid to escape the drop began badly when Jordan Fraser scored early for Kinlochshiel.

However, Findlay Macdonald and Shaun Nicholson gave the home side a half-time lead and it was only in the last 10 minutes that the game sparked dramatically back to life. John Macrae brought Shiel level before Danny Delaney's instant reply of two in a minute.

It looked good to start with for Skye with Will Cowie's second-minute opener before Ali Macleod made it 2-0 at the break. However, Kyles stormed back in the second half with a double from Sandy Mackenzie which split a similar contribution from Roddy MacDonald.

At Drumnadrochit Connor Golabek got Glenurquhart's opener and Thomas Borthwick equalised to make it level at half-time.

And there it remained until the 77th minute when Golabek got his second to restore Glen's lead.

But it was only Neale Reid's late third that finally confirmed the victory over last season's relegation strugglers which could mean safety for the side which in 2015 lifted the MacTavish Cup.

Now with only two games to go in the National Division, Kilmallie remain two points clear of Glasgow Mid Argyll after big home wins for both. A Liam Macdonald hat-trick helped Kilmallie to a 7-0 defeat of Ballachulish while Mark Bain got two for Mid Argyll in their 5-0 victory over Bute. Inveraray and Beauly drew 4-4.