Shinty: Newtonmore beat Kingussie to retain Sutherland Cup

Newtonmore beat local rivals Kingussie to retain the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup

A hat-trick from Conner Jones helped Newtomore retain the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup with a 6-0 win over local rivals Kingussie.

Worse still for Kingussie, the game took place on their own pitch at The Dell, chosen on the toss of a coin.

This means that Newtonmore have won the last two Sutherland finals scoring 11 goals without reply.

In the Marine Harvest Premiership in Kiltarlity, Kyles were even more prolific when they thrashed Lovat 7-0.

They consolidated their status as second favourites behind leaders and champions Newtonmore.

Oban Camanachd, who have played two extra games, cut More's lead to two points in a 2-2 draw with visitors Skye who have now drawn seven of their 10 league games.

A 2-1 win for Glenurquhart at Fort William edged them closer to safety while making the drop increasingly inevitable for their opponents.

At The Dell, it took Newtonmore 24 minutes for Duncan Gorman to break down their neighbours then two in a minute from Jones suddenly buried the game before half-time.

There it stayed for a further half-hour before Martin Hall and Iain Robinson extended More's lead and Jones completed his hat-trick in the penultimate minute.

In the Premiership, Kyles responded to the previous week's cup defeat by Inveraray by venting their fury on Lovat.

Scott MacDonald and Roddy MacDonald scored early and Innes MacDonald made it 3-0 before half-time. There was no further scoring until the final quarter, when the roof fell in on Lovat, whose Euan Ferguson found his own net.

Sandy MacKenzie made it 5-0 and Scott and Roddy MacDonald wrapped it up with a second goal apiece.

Kyles go fourth, five points adrift of Newtonmore but with a game in hand and three in hand on Oban Camanachd and Kinlochshiel, who are also above them.

Ian Nicholson opened for Skye in Oban and Andrew McCuish very quickly equalised. That was repeated in the second half when Willie Neilson rapidly cancelled the effort of Skye's Jordan Murchison.

In Fort William, former Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Ross County goalkeeper Michael Fraser, who has reverted to playing outfield shinty, gave Glenurquhart the lead.

A second-half Bryan Fraser penalty tied it up, but Neale Reid got Glen's winner two minutes later.

With 12 their 18 games played, Glen sit seventh on 10 points. They are followed by Skye on seven, all from draws, with 10 played and Lochaber on seven from 13.

With two to go down, Fort are bottom in an apparently irretrievable situation with two points from 13 outings.

Balliemore cup holders Kilmallie went top of the National Division with a 6-2 success in Beauly. However, an 89th minute 3-2 penalty winner at Inveraray from Glasgow Mid Argyll's Craig Anderson kept them very much in touch.

Caberfedh maintained their challenge with a 3-1 win at home to Bute, while the basement battle ended 5-2 to Inverness at home to Ballachulish who had been 2-0 up.