Shinty: Kinlochshiel and Inveraray reach MacAulay Cup final


Inveraray's Allan MacDonald became the villain as well as three times the hero when he scored a hat-trick and was sent off as his unfancied lower league side saw off Premiership Kyles 3-2 in Oban in the south semi-final of the Artemis MacAulay Cup.

Hard on the heels of his 85th-minute winner, MacDonald went for a marginally early bath and then became man of the match. However, he will have served his suspension long before the final on 3 September.

In the final, back in Oban, Inveraray will now meet Kinlochshiel, who comfortably disposed of Lovat 3-0 in the north semi-final at Beauly.

The cost of Shiel's progress was to fall four points and one further place behind Marine Harvest Premiership leaders Newtonmore, whose 4-1 victory in Fort William extended their advantage to three points over Oban Camanachd with a game in hand.

Camanachd moved into second above Shiel with a 2-1 away win over Lochaber.

Glenurquhart moved two places and two points clear of the relegation zone with a 2-0 win on Skye.

The loss of a number of senior players cast Inveraray well adrift in the 2015 Premiership table, and brought relegation to the National Division.

However, always a better cup side, they eliminated high-flying Oban Camanachd in the first round but had to concede the semi-final opener when Robbie MacLeod gave Kyles the lead after 18 minutes.

MacDonald very quickly equalised but Gordon Whyte's penalty made the half-time score 2-1 to Kyles. The hour had passed before MacDonald levelled again and only five minutes remained when he sensationally won the tie before receiving his marching orders.

It was plainer sailing for Kinlochshiel and the familiar surname of MacRae was responsible for all their goals. Keith got an early opener, John made the half-time score 2-0 and Keith again put the game to bed late on.

Shiel's top-flight status may make them favourites for the final but Inveraray, who have won this national senior trophy three times since 2001, will be looking for their third Premiership scalp in the competition.

Newtonmore's Glen MacKintosh is no stranger to hat-tricks and that was his contribution to their 4-1 victory away to Premiership bottom side Fort William.

Following MacKintosh's first two strikes, Scott Henderson made it 2-1 late in the first half. However, in the minute that remained, Evan Menzies got More's third before MacKintosh completed his hat-trick after the restart.

This leaves Fort William, without a win on two points, five adrift of safety with just six to play.

Andrew McCuish grabbed a very early breakthrough for Camanachd and Danny Delaney made it 1-1 at half-time.

With 15 minutes left, McCuish's second sealed it for Camanachd despite a red card for Gary Lord.

Lewis MacLennan just before half-time and Neale Reid just after completed back-to-back league wins for Glenurquhart, albeit three weeks apart. This took them two points clear of opponents Skye, who have two games in hand.

Kilmallie moved on from their Balliemore success to a 3-0 victory on Bute in their pursuit of the National Division title and a return to the Premiership.

A thumping 12-0 victory for Oban Celtic over Taynuilt brought them level second in South Division 1 alongside Aberdour, who could be their main rivals for possible promotion to the National Division.

Strathglass, the only North Division 1 side eligible for advancement, remain on top despite their first defeat of the season, 2-0 to Newtonmore's reserves at the Eilan.