Shinty: Kyles beat Inveraray to win Celtic Society Cup, Newtonmore suffer first loss

Kyles celebrate their Celtic Society Cup victory
Kyles celebrate their latest success in the Celtic Society Cup

Kyles won the GCC Celtic Society Cup with a 3-1 victory over National Division side Inveraray at Taynuilt.

Despite an early breakthrough for Kyles, the outcome was in doubt until Thomas Whyte grabbed their third with just seven minutes left.

Victory made the Tighnabruich side champions of shinty's South area for the fourth year in a row.

Kyles, strong pre-match favourites against their lower league rivals, looked on easy street when Dunky Kerr cashed in on defensive hesitation to put them ahead after just 45 seconds.

But Kyles' own defence wasn't entirely settled and Lewis Montgomery pounced to equalise. It stayed that way until first-half stoppage time when Sandy MacKenzie picked up a cross from the right and scored from the edge of the nine-metre D.

Inveraray's teenage keeper Scott MacLachlan, who was made man of the match, did sterling work to limit the margin to a single goal until Whyte confirmed the title for Kyles.

Referee 'Deek' Cameron, who had one or two hot-headed incidents to deal with, sent off Inveraray's Andrew McMurdo for throwing a punch.

Newtonmore suffer first defeat

Meanwhile, Newtonmore were beaten for the first time this season, 2-1 at home to Lovat after extra-time in the Artemis MacAulay Cup.

Greg Matheson's 104th-minute winner for Lovat at The Eilan ended Newtonmore's unbeaten run of 13 games across the league and three cup competitions.

Following Newtonmore's Camanachd Cup progress at Kiltarlity, each has now produced an away win to end the other's defence of a national trophy.

There was deadlock until the last quarter of an hour when Conor Jones gave Newtonmore the lead. Matheson's equaliser sent the game to extra time before the striker gained Lovat's revenge at the end of the first period.

The other MacAulay Cup tie in Portree ended on a knife edge but Kinlochshiel held on to beat local rivals Skye 4-3.

John MacRae opened for Shiel and James Pringle equalised before MacRae put the away side ahead once more. Jordan Fraser took the half-time score to 3-1 and Pringle tightened it up again. Oliver MacRae extended Shiel's advantage again, but only until a Mark MacDonald own goal produced a nervous last 25 minutes.

Oban Camanachd go top of the Premiership

As Newtonmore were eliminated from the MacAulay Cup, they were also knocked off the top of the Marine Harvest Premeirship by Oban Camanachd, who drew 1-1 with Lochaber.

Oban only needed one point at Spean Bridge to move top, albeit having played two extra games.

Connor Howe's early strike put them on course for both points, but Neil MacDonald's second-half equaliser edged Lochaber further away from the relegation zone into which neighbours Fort William sank deeper with a 3-0 home defeat by Kingussie.

All the scoring at An Aird came in the first half with a goal from James Falconer and a double from Kingussie's prolific Savio Genini. With two to go down, Fort have just a single point from nine games, three adrift of Glenurquhart.

A 2-1 win for Caberfeidh in Inverness put them second in a very tight National Division, where just two points separate the top five teams.