Shinty: Newtonmore reach Camanachd Cup last eight

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland
Newtonmore are through to the Camanachd Cup last eight
Jamie Robinson scored Newtonmore's fourth to help them through to the Camanachd Cup last eight

An Evan Menzies hat-trick helped league champions Newtonmore become the first team through to the quarter finals of the SSE Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup with a 4-0 away win over Lochaber in the early throw-up.

There was also a treble for Dunky Kerr as Kyles, winners in 2012, defeated a persistent Kinlochshiel side 5-3 at Balmacara.

Lovat were too strong for lower league opponents Caberfeidh at Kiltarlity and cruised through 5-0.

Glasgow Mid Argyll left it late to progress 2-0 at home to Bute while Inveraray came from behind to beat Glenurquhart 2-1 in Drumnadrochit.

A goalless draw between Fort William and holders Kingussie means a replay between these two at The Dell.

Menzies' hat trick comprised two in the first half and the other in the second before Jamie Robinson, the captain last time Newtonmore won the cup in 2013, got their fourth late on.

It was plain sailing for Premiership title contenders Lovat with home advantage over neighbours Caberfeidh from a division below. Kevin Bartlett got the opener and Ryan Ferguson followed up. A minute later Lorne MacKay grabbed the first of a double before Greg Matheson made it 5-0 with three minutes left.

At Balmacara, Kerr grabbed his first two to put Kyles in the driving seat before Jordan Fraser got one back for Shiel. Grant Irvine retrieved Kyles' two-goal lead and Duncan MacRae narrowed it up again before Kerr completed his hat trick to make it 4-2 for Kyles.

But the game still was not finished and Fraser got his second for Shiel which prompted a rapid response from Gordon Whyte for a final score of 5-3 to Kyles.

Bute, despite being the only area league side in the competition, gave Glasgow Mid Argyll from the National Division a major battle and it took a double in the last four minutes from Ben Dalgetty to put the city side through 2-0.

Andrew Corrigan gave Glenurquhart an early lead but David MacPherson and Euan MacMurdo struck back for Inveraray.

The other two ties - Oban Camanachd versus Inverness and Skye against Beauly - were postponed by a week since Inverness and Beauly players requested leave to support Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden and will take place alongside the Kingussie-Fort William replay on Saturday 6 June.