Shinty: Newtonmore move clear as rivals falter

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland

Champions Newtonmore extended their lead in the Orion Premiership to three points with a comprehensive 4-0 home win over Inveraray.

Challengers Fort William lost 4-2 to Glenurquhart at Black Park and Kinlochshiel were pegged back at the death in a 3-3 draw with Lovat at Balgate.

Danny MacRae opened for Newtonmore just before the half-hour and Chris Sellar followed up with a goal either side of half-time before MacRae completed his own double on 63 minutes.

A Neil Roberston own goal sent Glenurquhart on their way to inflicting Fort's first defeat of the season, which was also a success for Glen manager Drew McNeil, who was sacked by the Fort a few seasons ago.

Gary Innes and Ryan Campbell put Fort ahead briefly before David Smart tied it again just before half-time. And it was two goals in a minute with quarter-of-an-hour left from Smart and Neil Reid that got the points in the bag for the Glen.

Greg Matheson opened for Lovat at home to Kinlochshiel but Keith MacRae with one and his brother Finlay with a couple had Shiel 3-2 up after Owen Ferguson replied for Lovat. The home side then grabbed a point through Martin Bell in the very last minute.

A goal from Martin Dallas in the first half and from Barry Dallas in the second gave Kingussie a 2-0 victory on Bute, despite the absence of Ronald Ross.

And Kilmallie remain two points adrift at the bottom following a 3-2 home defeat by Kyles. Peter Macintyre opened for Kilmallie in 14 minutes but Thomas Whyte and Roddy MacDonald put Kyles in front in 22 and 27 minutes respectively.

MacDonald increased Kyles' lead in the second half before John Stewart reduced the deficit to a single goal late on.

Goals from Iain MacMillian in the first half and then in extra-time put Oban Camanachd through to the second round of the Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup as Glenorchy were beaten 2-1 in the replay.

And that was also the shock scoreline for Strathglass at home to title-contenders Beauly in Marine Harvest North Division 1.

Forty-eight-year-old player-manager Robert Geddes opened for Strathglass before David MacLean equalised just after the restart, but it took only two minutes for Mark MacLeod to grab what turned out to be the winner.