Premiership: Gloucester 22-14 Worcester Warriors - Cherry and Whites get second win of season

Billy Twelvetrees scores for Gloucester
Billy Twelvetrees' first-half try was his second of the season
Gallagher Premiership
Gloucester (5) 22
Tries: Twelvetrees, Alemanno, Seabrook Cons: Twelvetrees 2 Pen: Barton
Worcester (7) 14
Tries: David, Penalty try Con: Shillcock

Bottom side Gloucester beat Worcester 22-14 to claim just their second Premiership win of the season.

Nick David's superb try gave Worcester the lead before Billy Twelvetrees crossed to make it 7-5 at the break.

Worcester got a penalty try just after the restart, but Gloucester hit back with two quick tries from Matias Alemanno and Tom Seabrook to take the lead with 25 minutes remaining.

And a late George Barton penalty completed the win for the hosts.

The Cherry and Whites remain bottom, but are now level on points with second-from-bottom Worcester after getting their first win since beating Wasps at Kingsholm in round two on 28 November.

Winger David got the visitors off to a perfect start after just 41 seconds, running in from 65 metres out to record Warriors' fastest Premiership try, before Gloucester hit back through Twelvetrees to reduce the deficit to 7-5 at half-time.

Worcester restored their seven-point advantage in the 43rd minute when they were awarded a penalty try after Gloucester illegally dragged down a maul, resulting in home prop Fraser Balmain being sent to the sin-bin.

But it was the Cherry and Whites who dominated, with Alemanno crossing before Seabrook latched on to Lewis Ludlow's kick to give George Skivington's side a 19-14 lead.

Barton made no mistake to open up an eight-point advantage through a penalty in the 74th minute as Gloucester held on for just their second win of the season.

Jamie Shillcock hit the woodwork from a similar kick with seconds remaining as Worcester missed out on a losing bonus point.

Gloucester head coach George Skivington told BBC Radio Gloucestershire:

"Not a pretty game, but I'm very pleased with the way the lads managed their way through it.

"It was scrappy in parts. I don't think we started the game particularly well.

"When we're in a hole, the boys stick together and keep working. We had to do that all game because Worcester made it very hard.

"Previously we would lose a lot of points [after being reduced to 14 men]. We've got used to managing it, we've solved a problem and we were really good."

Worcester head coach Jonathan Thomas:

"It really swung with the yellow card. We should have seized that opportunity and we didn't.

"We made some mistakes and unfortunately the game became an arm wrestle, and we didn't execute under pressure.

"We spoke at half-time about doing the simple things well in the second half - being disciplined, catching passes, fundamentals and basics of the game.

"If we had done that, we would have [won comfortably] but unfortunately we have had an inability to exit twice which has cost us points."

Gloucester: Moyle; Carreras, Trinder, Seabrook, Thorley; Twelvetrees, Heinz; Seville, Singleton, Balmain, Slater, Alemanno, Reid, Ludlow (capt), Ackermann.

Replacements: Socino, Ford-Robinson, Stanley, Craig, Clement, Chapman, Barton, Kveseladze.

Sin-bin: Balmain (43), Reid (64), Carreras (79)

Worcester: Pennell; Ashton, O Morris, Venter, David; Shillcock, Hougaard; Waller, Annett, Schonert, A Kitchener, Clegg, Batley, Kvesic (capt), van Velze.

Replacements: Miller, M Thomas, Palframan, Merrick, Dodd, Heaney, Smith, Beck.

Referee: Luke Pearce (RFU).