1872 Cup: Edinburgh claim late win over Glasgow Warriors at Murrayfield

Edinburgh v Glasgow
Injury-hit Warriors have only won twice in the Pro14 campaign
Pro14/1872 Cup
Edinburgh (0) 10
Tries: Bradbury Con: Van der Walt Pen: Van der Walt
Glasgow Warriors (0) 7
Tries: Bean Con: Thompson

Edinburgh edged out Glasgow Warriors in a tense 1872 Cup tie at Murrayfield for just their third Pro14 win this season.

A threadbare Glasgow were well in the game until the boot of Jaco van der Walt opened the scoring with just 16 minutes to play.

Magnus Bradbury went over soon after to add weight to Edinburgh's lead, with Van der Walt converting.

A late Lewis Bean try threatened a comeback, but it was not enough for Danny Wilson's visitors.

The pair meet again on Friday (19:35 GMT) in a rearranged fixture at Scotstoun.

Neither side had much to shout about amid a dire end to 2020 and the first 40 minutes of the new year did little to suggest things will be getting any better in the months to come.

Edinburgh dominated the first quarter, camping out for large spells in the Warriors' 22. But with temperatures sitting sub-zero in the capital, the hosts froze when the big moments came and Wilson's defensive line was able to stand strong without being broken.

Having survived that onslaught, Glasgow should have taken the lead on the half-hour mark. However, Brandon Thomson's horror penalty miss straight in front of the posts summed up a woeful first period as both teams eventually trudged down the tunnel with the scoresheet blank.

Thompson's jitters with the boot were perhaps the reason behind Ali Price's decision to take a tap and go in front of the posts five minutes into the second half but another chance was spilled when Zander Fagerson dropped the ball a yard short of the line.

Glasgow had Richie Gray plucking everything out of the air at the line-out but even with that set-piece leg-up they found converting territory into points just as problematic as Edinburgh had before the break.

But when it came to the scrum, Richard Cockerill's pack were firmly on top and it was thanks to the forwards that they got the penalty which saw Van der Walt finally opening the scoring as the Scotland stand-off nailed a 40-yard penalty.

Glasgow still had time on their side but when Thompson overcooked a throw to Sam Johnson, Edinburgh were quick to pounce.

Duhan van der Merwe kicked on into the unguarded backfield, with Bradbury darting through to dot down the try which sealed victory.

Bean barged his way over from close range at the death but it was too little too late for Wilson's team.


Edinburgh: Kinghorn, Graham, Bennett, Dean, van der Merwe, Van der Walt, Pyrgos, Schoeman, McInally, Nel, Toolis, Hodgson, Ritchie, Watson, Mata

Replacements: Willemse, Sutherland, Berghan, Ferreira, Bradbury, Groom, Chamberlain, Johnstone

Glasgow Warriors: H Jones, L Jones, Grigg, Johnson, Tagive, Thomson, Price, Seiuli, Turner, Z Fagerson, Gray, Cummings, Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson

Replacements: Matthews, Thornton, Pieretto, Bean, Ioane, Dobbie, Thompson, Bryce