Glasgow Warriors 22-23 Dragons: Late heartbreak for hosts

Pro14: Glasgow Warriors v Dragons
Glasgow (14) 22
Tries: Lokotui, Kennedy, Matthews Cons: P Horne (2) Pen: P Horne
Dragons (10) 23
Tries: Rosser, Harris Cons: Davies (2) Pen: Davies (2) Drop goal Davies

Brandon Thomson hit the post with a simple conversion in a dramatic finale as Glasgow Warriors were edged by Dragons in Pro14 Conference A.

Johnny Matthews crossed in added time, but Thomson could not snatch victory.

Hosts Glasgow had led 14-10 at half-time after tries from Fotu Lokotui and Sean Kennedy cancelled out a Jared Rosser score and Sam Davies penalty.

Brok Harris crossed and Davies kicked the visitors six points in front before the late drama.

Victory moves the Welsh side above Glasgow into fourth place, level on points with Ospreys, who have played a game more.

The visitors took the lead inside five minutes following a lineout near the halfway line. Davies offloaded to Rosser, who marked his 50th Dragons appearance by sprinting for the line and shrugging off two tackles, including a high one from Niko Matawalu, to touch down.

Davies added the extras before Warriors responded and Harrison Keddie was penalised for a ruck infringement and sent to the sin-bin.

Warriors put the pressure on from the penalty scrum but Dragons defended well and got back on top with a Davies penalty after the teams had been evened up.

Glasgow were handed another lifeline when Jack Dixon was sin-binned for a shoulder charge and this time the hosts took advantage as Lokotui went over on his first start for the club.

Danny Wilson's side soon went in front after Nick Grigg forced his way through and released for the supporting Kennedy to dive over. Horne put Glasgow four points ahead at the interval.

The lead didn't last long, though, as Dragson kicked a penalty into the corner and Harris powered over from close range.

Sean Kennedy's try had Glasgow ahead at half-time
Sean Kennedy's try had Glasgow ahead at half-time

Horne soon levelled with a penalty but Davies put the Welsh side back in control with a long-range penalty and drop goal from similar distance.

The game further slipped away from the hosts when Lee Jones, in his first game at Scotstoun for 22 months, earned a 62nd-minute yellow card for a deliberate knock-on.

Warriors suffered another blow when replacement prop Alex Allan was taken off on a stretcher. But they rallied to put some intense pressure on and Matthews looked to have provided the crucial moment, only for Thomson to endure a kicking disaster.

Glasgow Warriors: Bryce, Jones, Grigg, Fergusson, Matawalu, Horne, Kennedy; Seiuli, Stewart, Pieretto, Bean, McDonald, Harley, Lokotui, Wilson (capt).

Replacements: Matthews, Allan, Rae, Bain, Ioane, Dobie, Thomson, Tagive.

Dragons: Lewis, Rosser, Dixon, Roberts, Hewitt, Davies, Williams (capt); Harris, Shipp, Jarvis, Carter, Screech, Keddie, Basham, Griffiths.

Replacements: Hibbard, Maguire, Coleman, Maksymiw, Taylor, Knoyle, Tompkins, Jenkins.

Top Stories