Pro14: Munster end Ospreys' winning start to season with thumping 49-13 win

Tadhg Beirne gains ground for Munster despite the efforts of Ospreys duo Tom Botha and Olly Cracknell
Tadhg Beirne produced a typically dynamic display on his Munster debut
Pro14: Munster 49-6 Ospreys
Munster (28) 49
Tries: Penalty, Carbery, Cronin, Marshall 2, Botha, Sweetnam Cons: Carbery 5, Keatley
Ospreys (6) 11
Try: Morgan Pens: Davies 2 Con: Davies

Munster ended Ospreys' winning start to the Pro14 by earning a thumping 49-13 victory at Irish Independent Park.

Debutants Joey Carbery and Tadhg Beirne starred for the home side as flanker Chris Cloete also produced a dynamic display after six months out injured.

Munster had a bonus point by half-time as Carbery, James Cronin and Rhy Marshall scores followed a penalty try.

Marshall, Arno Botha and Darren Sweetnam added further Munster tries with Luke Morgan replying for Ospreys.

With only Sam Davies, Tom Williams and Tom Botha selected from the starting side that defeated Cheetahs 46-14 last weekend, Ospreys had no answer to Munster's physicality and pace in the decisive first half as the home side put the game to bed.

With the visitors on the back foot from the off, they weren't helped by the sin-binnings of forwards Giorgi Nemsadze and Adam Beard which were punished by three tries.

The ball-carrying and line-out work of former Scarlets favourite Beirne showed why Munster were so keen to acquire the lock's services while South African man of the match Cloete was even more impressive as he produced a number of turnovers in addition to winning hard yards for his side.

O'Mahony and Conway back for Munster

Media playback is not supported on this device

Allen Clarke says he is to blame for the 49-13 Pro14 defeat at Munster

Captain Justin Tipuric, plus Wales colleagues Alun Wyn Jones, George North and Aled Davies were among those rested by Ospreys coach Allen Clarke and it quickly became apparent that the under-strength visitors were going to be in for a fraught evening.

Munster made 11 changes from the defeat by Glasgow at Scotstoun with Ireland stars Peter O'Mahony and Andrew Conway both making their first starts of the season.

With Munster's forwards already in the ascendency, skipper O'Mahony showed his intent by instruction Carbery to turn down two simple penalties as the kicks to the corner was eventually rewarded by a penalty try on 16 minutes after Nemsadze collapsed a maul.

Davies did cut Munster's lead with a 23rd-minute penalty but the Ospreys fly-half was punished moments later as his attempt from near his own posts to set up an attack for wing Tom Williams with an angled kick was anticipated by Carbery who gathered before speeding over the line.

After a second Davies penalty, Cloete's drive towards the Ospreys line was finished off by Cronin's close-range finish before Marshall notched his first score in injury-time after Beard's yellow carding for a line-out infringement.

With the bonus point already banked, Munster continued to dominate after the break as hooker Marshall and Botha added further tries.

A rare Munster lapse as they failed to deal with a Garryowen, led to Luke Morgan's breakaway try on the hour before the lively Darren Sweetnam notched the home team's seventh after more weak Ospreys defending.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Darren Sweetnam; Joey Carbery, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Tadhg Beirne, Darren O'Shea; Peter O'Mahony (capt), Chris Cloete, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Tommy O'Donnell, James Hart, Ian Keatley, Jaco Taute.

Ospreys: James Hook; Tom Williams, Joe Thomas, Cory Allen, Luke Morgan; Sam Davies, Tom Habberfield; Rhodri Jones, Scott Baldwin, Tom Botha, Giorgi Nemsadze, Adam Beard, Olly Cracknell (capt), Morgan Morris, Sam Cross.

Replacements: Ifan Phillips, Nicky Smith, Alex Jeffries, James Ratti, Guido Volpi, Matthew Aubrey, Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler, Hanno Dirksen.

Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU)

Assistant referees: Sean Gallagher (IRFU), Paul Haycock (IRFU)

TMO: Simon MacDowell (IRFU)