Pro14: Dragons 12-25 Edinburgh

Leon Brown
Leon Brown made his Wales debut in the 2017 Autumn Internationals
Pro14: Eugene Cross Park
Dragons (0) 12
Tries: Landman 2 Cons: D Jones Pens:
Edinburgh (10) 25
Tries: Cochrane, Dean, Weir, Fenton Cons: Hidalgo-Clyne Pens: Hidalgo-Clyne

Edinburgh proved too strong for Dragons in the first Pro14 match to be staged at Ebbw Vale's Eugene Cross Park.

The hosts paid the price for a slow start even though two tries from Rynard Landman briefly gave them hope.

Neil Cochrane, Chris Dean, Duncan Weir and Cameron Fenton scored tries for the Scots as they secured a bonus point.

Edinburgh maintain the pressure in Conference B on Leinster and Scarlets while Dragons have now won only two of their 15 league matches.

Dragons made four changes from the team beaten at home by Benetton Rugby as Leon Brown started for the first time since he was concussed playing for Wales against New Zealand during the autumn international series in November. Brown played 46 minutes before being replaced by Lloyd Fairbrother.

Dougie Fife played his 100th game for the visitors.

Edinburgh took the lead with only three minutes on the clock through Sam Hidalgo-Clyne's boot after the Dragons were punished for offside.

Dorian Jones, the son of last season's Dragons coach Kingsley Jones, attempted to level moments later but was wide of the posts with an audacious drop goal attempt.

The visitors continued to apply the most pressure and scored when hooker Cochrane crossed after completing a driving line-out after Edinburgh opted not to kick from a penalty. Hidalgo-Clyne added the extras.

Zane Kirchner missed a penalty attempt as the hosts looked to get off the mark, but the game was slipping away from them, especially when centre Dean scored three minutes after the interval following a flowing move.

On a bitter night in Gwent. the crowd desperately needed something to cheer and they got it on 51 minutes when Rynard Landman crossed, with Jones adding the extras.

Finally the Dragons were in the ascendency and Landman then added a second, capitalising on some fine work by scrum-half Charlie Davies.

However, Jones pulled the conversion attempt as the Dragons failed to get within a point of the Scots, and it would prove decisive.

Any hopes of a home fightback were extinguished after some lovely handling from Murray McCallum and Nathan Fowles allowed Duncan Weir to score with just under 10 minutes remaining,

Richard Cockerill's side comfortably ran down the clock, even adding the decisive bonus point try in the final moments when Fenton scored.

Ebbw experiment

This was the first time the Dragons have voluntarily played a league game outside their Rodney Parade headquarters, with a previous visit to Caerphilly caused by a fixture clash with Newport County.

The move is part of a drive to improve support from the Gwent Valleys, which has been a long-term issue for the team since its inception in 2003.

Dragons: Hallam Amos; Rio Dyer, Zane Kirchner, Jack Dixon, Jared Rosser; Dorian Jones, Charlie Davies; Sam Hobbs, Liam Belcher, Leon Brown, Joe Davies, Rynard Landman, Aaron Wainwright, James Benjamin, Lewis Evans (capt).

Replacements: Ellis Shipp, Gerard Ellis, Lloyd Fairbrother, Harri Keddie, Ollie Griffiths, Sarel Pretorius, Connor Edwards, Jarryd Sage.

Edinburgh: Dougie Fife; Jason Harries, James Johnstone, Chris Dean, Duhan van der Merwe; Jaco van der Walt, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne; Jordan Lay, Neil Cochrane, Murray McCallum, Fraser McKenzie (capt), Lewis Carmichael, Magnus Bradbury, John Hardie, Bill Mata.

Replacements: Cameron Fenton, Rory Sutherland, Elliot Millar-Mills, Cornell du Preez, Luke Crosbie, Nathan Fowles, Duncan Weir, Junior Rasolea.

Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)

Assistants: Kieran Barry (Ireland), Simon Rees (Wales)

Top Stories

Get Inspired Activity Finder

Run by the BBC and partners

Find ways to get active near you: