Pro14: Ospreys 27-26 Cheetahs

Jeff Hassler of Ospreys is tackled by Nico Lee of Cheetahs
Ospreys trailed for 70 minute before their last-gasp victory
Ospreys (3) 27
Tries: Beck, Cross, Phillips Cons: S Davies 3 Pens: S Davies 2
Cheetahs (12) 26
Tries: van Jaarsveld, Hunt, Lee, Barry Cons: Marais 3

Ospreys outside-half Sam Davies kicked a last minute conversion to help his side celebrate victory over the Cheetahs.

The Ospreys did not lead until the 79th minute when Davies slotted over the kick following Ifan Phillips' try.

Cheetahs had led throughout the game with tries from man-of-the-match Ashley Beck and Sam Cross keeping the Ospreys in the hunt before a frantic finish.

And Davies stepped up to clinch the one-point win.

Ospreys remain sixth out of seven teams in Conference A but will be boosted by this sixth victory and a second successive win over South African sides after defeating the Southern Kings last weekend.

Cheetahs' only consolation was two losing bonus points as they remain in third place in Conference A still aiming for a play-off place.

Ospreys had made seven changes to the side that defeated Southern Kings but the Welsh region were missing more than 20 players due to injuries and international commitments and that initially showed in front of the home crowd of 3,842.

Cheetahs produced all the early pressure and hooker Torsten van Jaarsveld was driven over from a lineout.

Second-row Reniel Hugo strolled over for the second try five minutes later which Marais converted.

Ospreys rallied but struggled to break down the Cheetahs defence despite a period of scrummaging superiority.

The hosts had the consolation of a late first-half Sam Davies penalty to reduce the deficit to 12-3 at the interval.

Captain Tom Habberfield moved from the wing to scrum-half with Hanno Dirksen coming on to Reuben Morgan Williams who had made his first league start.

The change paid dividends with centre Beck, who will join Worcester next season, crashed over with Davies converting.

The revival proved short-lived as Cheetahs broke way for the third try through centre Nico Lee.

Ospreys retaliated through a try from Olympic Sevens silver medallist Sam Cross who was rewarded after impressive build-up from fellow back-rower Guy Mercer.

Davies converted again to reduce the deficit to two points.

Again the Ospreys proved the architects of their own downfall when Jeff Hassler's pass was intercepted by Cheetahs wing Craig Barry who sprinted away to clinch the bonus point try.

Davies moved the home side to within a score with a second penalty before the dramatic late finale.

The hosts continually pressured the visitors defence with replacement hooker Phillips and Davies popping up to seal the win.

Ospreys interim coach Allen Clarke said: "It's fantastic to win the game after not being at the races in the first-half.

"The way we performed in the second-half, I was proud of the boys regardless of the scoreline.

"We conceded a couple of soft scores in positions where we looked like we were going to threaten.

"To win in the style we did is all credit to the players and the transition in the second-half is where we need to be."

Ospreys: Dan Evans; Jeff Hassler, Kieron Fonotia, Ashley Beck, Tom Habberfield (capt); Sam Davies, Reuben Morgan-Williams; Nicky Smith, Sam Parry, Dmitri Arhip, Adam Beard, James King, Olly Cracknell, Guy Mercer, Sam Cross

Replacements: Ifan Phillips, Rhodri Jones, Ma'afu Fia, Alex Jeffries, James Hook, Luke Price, Owen Watkin, Hanno Dirksen.

Cheetahs: Clayton Blommetjies; Craig Barry, Francois Venter, Nico Lee, Malcolm Jaer; Niel Marais, Shaun Venter, Charles Marais, Torsten van Jaarsveld, Luan de Bruin, Justin Basson, Reniel Hugo, Henco Venter, Oupa Mohoje, Uzair Cassiem.

Replacements: Jacques du Toit, Ox Nche, Aranos Coetzee, Carl Wegner, Paul Schoeman, Zee Mkhabela, Fred Zeilinga, Luther Obi.

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Assistants: Dewi Phillips, Rob Price (both Wales)