Glasgow Warriors 17-0 Edinburgh

By Andy BurkeBBC Scotland at Scotstoun Stadium
Glasgow Warriors (3) 17
Try: L Jones Pens: Russell 4
Edinburgh 0

Glasgow Warriors battled to victory over rivals Edinburgh in an interrupted 1872 Cup derby at Scotstoun.

In the 39th minute, with Glasgow 3-0 ahead, the stadium was evacuated due to a fire alarm in the North Stand.

Play resumed after a delay of around 30 minutes with the start of the second half - the remaining one minute, 59 seconds of the first was written off.

Lee Jones' late try and Finn Russell's four penalties propelled Glasgow to their 11th Pro14 win of the season.

The club confirmed in a post-match statement the evacuation was due to an "isolated but contained incident that took place in the North Stand".

Following Edinburgh's victory last weekend, Warriors' home triumph levels the 1872 Cup series, which is played over three fixtures this term, with the decisive final meeting taking place in late April.

Lee Jones scores for Glasgow
Lee Jones, who played over 50 times for Edinburgh, scored a late try in the colours of Glasgow

Glasgow, whom boss Dave Rennie said were "embarrassed" in defeat by their 14-man rivals last Saturday, were first to register on the scoreboard after five minutes.

Alex Dunbar charged through some weak midfield defence to put the visitors on the back foot. A few phases later Hamish Watson did not roll away from the tackle and Russell banged over the resulting penalty.

There can surely be no Scottish player in better form than Stuart McInally. The Edinburgh hooker embarked on a trademark rampaging run from halfway, leaving several defenders for dead, but the ball was dislodged from his grasp as he attempted the scoring pass to Damien Hoyland.

The evolution in Edinburgh's style since the limited and predictable brand employed with Alan Solomons at the helm was evident. Under Richard Cockerill, players such as McInally, Watson and Viliame Mata punch holes with powerful ball-carries and, crucially, have the skills to off-load out of the tackle and keep the ball alive.

Finn Russell kicks a penalty for Glasgow Warriors
Finn Russell kicked 12 points in a terse derby clash at Scotstoun

For all their ambition, Edinburgh's attacks faltered at crucial moments and their extended periods of pressure yielded nothing by way of points.

As the half drew to a close Glasgow regained the initiative but their efforts were twice undone by the referee's whistle for tackling beyond the ruck.

With the clock showing 38 minutes and one second, there came the bizarre spectacle of the crowd being evacuated from Scotstoun after a fire alarm sounded in the North Stand. Once the fire service had attended and given the all-clear, it was agreed the final minutes of the first half would be written off and the match would resume for the second period.

After a delay of around half an hour, play was back underway and Russell struck twice from the tee to extend Glasgow's lead to 9-0.

Stuart McInally carries for Edinburgh
Scotland hooker Stuart McInally is in fine form for club and country, and made a surging first-half run

Niko Matawalu was brought into the side to provide the spark missing from Warriors' play last weekend and he danced away from a couple of tackles to take Glasgow deep into enemy territory. However, as happened time and again, Edinburgh managed to snaffle the ball at the breakdown and the momentum was lost.

Perhaps the unexpected delay to the match was a significant factor, but the quality of handling on both sides was desperately poor and the game drifted from set-piece to set-piece as full-time loomed into view.

With their normal try-scoring instincts seemingly blunted by their rivals, Glasgow had to find another way to win a match in which they were way below their best. Russell's fourth penalty of the day ensured they would do just that, then former Edinburgh winger Jones finally crashed over with the clock red.

Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill and Glasgow counterpart Dave Rennie leave the field
Players and coaches were forced to leave the field of play during the stadium evacuation

Before Russell could attempt - and miss - the touchline conversion, a scuffle between the players broke out by the corner flag, with chief protagonists Chris Fusaro, of Glasgow, and Edinburgh's Fraser McKenzie shown yellow cards.

Supporters are evacuated from Scotstou Stadium
Scotstoun Stadium was evacuated due to a fire alarm

Glasgow Warriors: R Jackson; L Jones, N Grigg, A Dunbar, N Matawalu; F Russell, A Price; J Bhatti, F Brown, Z Fagerson, K McDonald, J Gray (capt), R Harley, M Smith, M Fagerson.

Replacements: P MacArthur, O Kebble, S Halanukonuka, G Peterson, C Fusaro, G Horne, P Horne, H Jones.

Edinburgh: B Kinghorn; D Hoyland, J Johnstone, P Burleigh, D van der Merwe; J van der Walt, S Hidalgo-Clyne; M McCallum, S McInally (capt), M Shields, B Toolis, G Gilchrist, J Ritchie, H Watson, V Mata.

Replacements: N Cochrane, J Lay, E Millar-Mills, F McKenzie, C du Preez, N Fowles, C Dean, D Graham.