Pro14: Cheetahs 44-25 Ospreys

Media playback is not supported on this device

Pro14 highlights: Cheetahs 44-25 Ospreys
Pro14: Cheetahs v Ospreys
Cheetahs (22) 44
Tries: Van Jaarsveld 2, Coetzee, Mapimpi 2, Venter Cons: Stapelberg 3, Small-Smith Pens: Stapelberg 2
Ospreys (17) 25
Tries: Webb, Fonotia, Evans Cons: Biggar 2 Pens: Biggar 2

Ospreys suffered a record-equalling fourth successive defeat as Cheetahs' power and pace proved too much for the Welsh team.

Hooker Torsten van Jaarsveld scored two first-half tries and Ernst Stapelberg added a conversion and penalty.

Rhys Webb and Kieron Fonotia struck back and Dan Biggar edged Ospreys briefly ahead late in the first half.

Two Makazole Mapimpi tries and a Johan Coetzee one ensured the bonus point for the hosts.

Dan Evans scored a late consolation try before Francois Venter completed the scoring.

Alun Wyn Jones
Alun Wyn Jones was making his first Ospreys start after his post-Lions tour rest

Ospreys made four changes after their three previous defeats with Alun Wyn Jones leading the visitors for the 100th time on his first start of the season.

There were two visiting back-row changes as Guy Mercer came in for the absent Justin Tipuric and James King replaced Dan Baker while wing Jay Baker made his first Pro14 start.

Cheetahs included wing Raymond Rhule after he was released by the Springboks, their only change from their 38-19 win over Leinster.

The hosts were almost immediately on the front foot and hooker van Jaarsveld crossed for his first try from close range after finishing off from 25 metres out at the end of a counter-attack.

Webb produced a trademark dummy and dash to hit back for Ospreys and Fonotia chased Biggar's grubber kick to add a second try.

A Biggar penalty put Ospreys briefly in front before Makazole Mapimpi squeezed in at the corner.

Ospreys efforts in vain

Biggar and Stapelberg exchanged penalties soon after the break, but after fighting their way back into contention, Ospreys' efforts proved in vain as the Cheetahs found a new gear.

Coetzee was credited with the try at the bottom of a driving maul that eased home nerves.

But Mapimpi's try was the second half highlight as he beat Giles to a cross-kick to score at the corner.

Full-back Evans kept his feet out of touch as he went in at the corner to give Ospreys hope, however, the visitors ended the game as they began it, under pressure in their own half, underlined as Venter punished a tired defence.

Cheetahs: Sergeal Petersen; Raymond Rhule, Francois Venter (Captain), William Small-Smith, Makazole Mapimpi; Ernst Stapelberg, Tian Meyer; Charles Marais, Torsten van Jaarsveld, Tom Botha, Justin Basson, Reniel Hugo, Paul Schoeman, Henco Venter, Oupa Mohoje.

Replacements: Jacques du Toit, Ox Nche, Johan Coetzee, Rynier Bernardo, Junior Pokomela, Shaun Venter, Nico Lee, Rosco Specman.

Ospreys: Dan Evans; Keelan Giles, Ben John, James Hook, Jay Baker; Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb; Nicky Smith, Scott Otten, Ma'afu Fia, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Olly Cracknell, Guy Mercer, James King.

Replacements: Sam Parry, Gareth Thomas, Rhodri Jones, Lloyd Ashley, Dan Lydiate, Tom Habberfield, Sam Davies, Kieron Fonotia.

Referee: Frank Murphy (Ireland)

Assistant referees: George Clancy (Ireland), Cwengile Jadezweni (South Africa)

TMO: Johan Greef (South Africa).

Top Stories