Pro12: Leinster 31-30 Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow's Zander Fagerson tackles Leinster's Zane Kirchner in mid air
Glasgow bravely fought back into the contest after Leinster appeared in control at half-time
Guinness Pro12
Leinster (23) 31
Tries: Ryan, O'Loughlin, Dooley, Kirchner Con: Byrne Pens: Byrne 2, Carbery
Glasgow (6) 30
Try: Ashe, Jones, Russell Cons: Horne, Russell 2 Pens: Horne 3

Floodlight failure late in the contest held up Leinster's Pro12 game against Glasgow for 20 minutes before the leaders edged a 31-30 win at the RDS.

The lights went out with under two minutes left which led to a long delay.

Leinster led 23-6 at half-time after tries from Dominic Ryan, Rory O'Loughlin and Peter Dooley

However despite a further Zane Kirchner Leinster score, tries from Adam Ashe, Lee Jones and Finn Russell put Glasgow ahead before a Joey Carbery penalty.

Carbery's penalty restored Leinster's lead in the 74th minute shortly before the floodlight failure.

Leinster were already certain of a home semi-final heading into Friday night's game while Glasgow's slim mathematical hopes of clinching a place in the play-offs were finally ended by their defeat.

With Fergus McFadden and Dan Leavy the only Leinster starters retained from the European Champions Cup defeat by Clermont, Glasgow looked equally threatening in an entertaining first period but the visitors wasted a number of scoring chances because of poor handling.

Fly-half Ross Byrne's inside pass set up Ryan's fifth-minute try and the Leinster number 10's crosskick then broke kindly off team-mate Adam Byrne to ensure O'Loughlin's score as the home side moved 12-3 up.

Dooley finished off a line-out drive for Leinster's third first-half touchdown as Byrne and Peter Horne kicked two successful penalties at either end.

Glasgow finally touched down six minutes after the restart as number eight Ashe finished off a period of sustained pressure, with Horne adding the conversion.

Leinster appeared to have weathered the storm as Noel Reid's long pass and a neat off-load from wing Adam Byrne set up Kirchner's bonus-point securing try in the 57th minute.

But brilliant running from replacement scrum-half Ali Price led to Lee Jones' 65th-minute try and Glasgow were suddenly ahead five minutes later as influential replacement Russell converted his own touchdown.

But Carbery's penalty restored Leinster's lead and following the lengthy delay, the home side played out the remaining 90 seconds to maintain their unbeaten RDS run since February 2015.


Leinster: Z Kirchner; A Byrne, R O'Loughlin, T Daly, F McFadden; R Byrne, N McCarthy; P Dooley; J Tracy, M Ross; R Molony (capt), M Kearney; D Ryan, J van der Flier, Leavy.

Replacements: R Strauss, J McGrath, M Bent, I Nagle, P Timmins, J Gibson-Park, J Carbery, N Reid.

Glasgow Warriors: T Seymour; L Sarto, N Grigg, S Johnson, L Jones; P Horne, H Pyrgos; A Allan, F Brown, S Puafisi; B Alainu'uese, J Gray; T Swinson, C Fusaro, A Ashe.

Replacements: P MacArthur, G Reid, Z Fagerson, R Harley, M Fagerson, A Price, F Russell, A Dunbar.

Top Stories