Premiership: Newcastle Falcons 24-22 Bath

Newcastle's Vereniki Goneva
Newcastle's Vereniki Goneva opened the scoring after just three minutes
Aviva Premiership
Newcastle (7) 24
Tries: Goneva, Wilson, Harris Cons: Hodgson 3 Pen: Hodgson
Bath (3) 22
Tries: Ford, Rokoduguni 2 Cons: Ford 2 Pen: Ford

Newcastle produced a superb late comeback at Kingston Park to stun Bath and condemn the visitors to their third straight Premiership defeat.

The Falcons trailed 22-10 in the final 10 minutes, but forwards Mark Wilson and Ben Harris both bundled over after relentless pressure.

Vereniki Goneva's early score had given Newcastle a 7-3 half-time advantage.

Second-half tries from George Ford and two from Semesa Rokoduguni built a lead for Bath before the late drama.

The much-improved Falcons have now won six Premiership matches this season, one more than the whole of last campaign, and move up to sixth, while Bath stay fourth.

Bath looked edgy once again following back-to-back league defeats against fellow play-off chasers Exeter and leaders Wasps.

A torrid first half started with Fiji wing Goneva being given too much space to race in under the posts, followed by England fly-half Ford missing two relatively simple penalties.

Ford, who failed to land another crucial penalty and conversion after the break, did start a clinical first 20 minutes of the second half when he strolled in to score as Bath were camped in front of the try-line.

Wing Rokoduguni produced two pieces of individual brilliance to help stretch Bath's lead to 12 points - first dotting down while being tackled by Goneva and then showing his pace after latching onto the returning Anthony Watson's pass.

But the visitors could not hold onto the advantage as big flanker Wilson was pushed over and replacement prop Harris touched down in almost identical circumstances, with Joel Hodgson coolly converting both.

Newcastle director of rugby Dean Richards: "The boys had belief and really stuck at it.

"We went 12 points down and just went for it. They showed a lot of courage to do that and come back against a side like Bath.

"The crowd were outstanding, especially that last five minutes, the players came in afterwards and said the crowd carried them through."

Bath director of rugby Todd Blackadder: "I'm very disappointed that we couldn't close out the game.

"We had a terrible first half. We were lucky we came away with anything at half-time.

"We didn't do the basics very well under pressure and that's not acceptable. The last two games we've had control and let it slip and it's just not good enough."

Newcastle Falcons: Tait; Agulla, Waldouck, Socino, Goneva; Hodgson, Takulua; Vickers, Lawson, Welsh, Green, Olmstead, Wilson, Welch (captain), Fonua

Replacements: Sowrey, Harris, Ryan, Witty, Robinson, Young, Willis, Burdon.

Bath: Watson; Rokoduguni, Joseph, Tapuai, Brew; Ford, Allinson; Catt, Dunn, Lahiff, Stooke, Charteris, Ellis, Louw, Mercer.

Replacements: Walker, Obano, Knight, Garvey, Grant, Cook, Priestland, Fruean.

Referee: Greg Garner.

For the latest rugby union news follow @bbcrugbyunion on Twitter.

Top Stories