Pro12: Munster 33-0 Ospreys

Media playback is not supported on this device

Pro12 highlights: Munster 33-0 Ospreys
Guinness Pro12
Munster (14) 33
Tries: Kilcoyne 2, Sweetnam, R O'Mahony, Copeland Cons: Bleyendaal 4
Ospreys (0) 0

Munster moved to the top of the Pro12 table thanks to a convincing victory over high-flying Ospreys in Cork.

The Irish side were 14-0 up following early tries by loose-head prop Dave Kilcoyne and winger Darren Sweetnam.

Ospreys, who had been joint top with Glasgow and Leinster, were hit by a third Munster try when Ronan O'Mahony punished a loose pass inside the 22.

Kilcoyne got his second score to secure the bonus point for Munster and Robin Copeland pounced for a late fifth try.

It was a disappointing night for Ospreys who were without 12 players on international duty.

They had won on their last visit to Cork in January but a repeat success never looked likely as they were forced on the back foot for most of the first half.

The visitors lost four first-half line-outs on Sam Parry's throw, two of them preceding Munster's tries.

Peter O'Mahony gave serious momentum to a drive in the 22 and after the ball was moved wide to the right, prop Kilcoyne muscled over from a couple of metres out.

Tyler Bleyendaal converted the seventh-minute try with a sweet strike and fared even better with a touchline effort, topping up Sweetnam's 14th-minute try in the right corner from a flat Duncan Williams pass.

A clash of heads ended Jaco Taute's night prematurely and saw Dan Evans have a spell off the pitch.

Munster's victory took them two points clear at the top of the Pro12
Munster's victory took them two points clear at the top of the Pro12

Although the Ospreys improved on the restart, fly-half Josh Matavesi's loose pass in his own 22 was dribbled forward and touched down by winger O'Mahony for an unconverted try.

The Ospreys bench added some zip to their play, replacement scrum half Brendon Leonard having a try ruled out for offside on the hour mark.

However, Munster scored again when Kilcoyne bulldozed over from close-range having made two ground-gaining carries before that.

Bleyendaal converted and also added the extras to Copeland's pick-up from a ruck, the Munster scrum providing the platform with new Kiwi hooker Rhys Marshall involved off the bench.

Ospreys head coach Steve Tandy told BBC Radio Wales:

"It's bitterly disappointing. We've had a good working week. Irrelevant of the scoreboard we feel we put a performance in.

"We couldn't win a set piece. We lost the first four or five line-outs on the bounce. We couldn't get control of the football but then in fairness, they picked out the back three.

"We didn't collect any balls, we were second to any loose balls from the forwards which is unlike us so it was a pretty disappointing night."

Munster: Conway, Sweetnam, Taute, R. Scannell, R. O'Mahony, Bleyendaal, Williams, Kilcoyne, N. Scannell, Archer, O'Shea, Copeland, P. O'Mahony, O'Donnell, O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Keatley for Taute (31), Scott for Archer (70), Madigan for R. O'Mahony (71), Griesel for Williams (74), McCabe for Kilcoyne (71), Marshall for N. Scannell (65), Wootton for P. O'Mahony (71), Oliver for O'Donnell (62).

Ospreys: D. Evans, Giles, John, Beck, Walker, J. Matavesi, Habberfield, James, Parry, Arhip, Ashley, Beard, McCusker, Cracknell, Bearman.

Replacements: Howells for John (63), Spratt for Beck (56), Leonard for Habberfield (58), Thomas for James (54), Gustafson for Parry (70), Fia for Arhip (46), R. Jones for Beard (74), Otten for Bearman (62).

Referee: Marius Mitrea (Italy)

Assistant referees: Stefano Penne (Italy), Oisin Quinn (IRFU)

Citing commissioner: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)

TMO: Carlo Damasco (Italy)