Premiership: Gloucester 34-27 Sale Sharks

Rob Cook scores for Gloucester
Gloucester ran in three second-half tries to beat Sale
Gloucester (6) 34
Tries: May, Cook, penalty
Pens: Laidlaw 5 Cons: Laidlaw 2
Sale (17) 27
Tries: Arscott, Cusiter, McLean, Cipriani
Pens: Cipriani Cons: Cipriani 2

A second-half fightback saw Gloucester secure victory over Sale.

The visitors had gone in 17-6 ahead at the break thanks to tries from Tom Arscott, Chris Cusiter and Luke McLean.

But Greig Laidlaw landed two penalties, adding to his first-half double, to reduce the deficit to five points.

Jonny May's try brought Gloucester level and although Danny Cipriani kicked Sale back in front and touched down, Rob Cook's score and a penalty try gave the hosts the win.

The Cherry and Whites came into the game off the back of an opening day drubbing by champions Northampton Saints, and their first-half display did little to encourage the Kingsholm faithful.

But the boot of Scotland international Laidlaw, a summer signing from Edinburgh, kept them in reach of Sale and an inspired second-half performance earned David Humphreys his first win as Gloucester boss.

England international Cipriani had run the show for the visitors, chipping to Arscott for an opening try inside two minutes, then providing for Cusiter and McLean to cross with ease.

Sale's Danny Cipriani
England fly-half Danny Cipriani has scored 22 points in two games for Sale

Laidlaw mustered two accurate penalties from three attempts, giving Sale an 11-point advantage at half-time.

But the Gloucester half-back added another two kicks before May showed his blistering pace to touchdown and make it 17-17.

A long-range Cipriani penalty edged Sale back in front, but their good work was undone when May supplied Cook, who finished in the corner.

Laidlaw added the extras to Cook's score and then kicked a later penalty - his fifth - before converting a penalty try.

The impressive Cipriani had the last word when he converted his own try for the losing bonus point, but it was not enough to as Gloucester held on.

Gloucester director of rugby David Humphreys told BBC Radio Gloucestershire:

"After going 17-3 down, and following on from the disappointment of last Friday night, we were in a bit of a hole and I think it showed the character of the squad to turn it around.

"We knew what we wanted to do. It was about doing the simple things well and we believe, with the players that we've got, we'll create opportunities and that's how it worked out.

"There's huge amounts still to work on but we're delighted to have come away with the win."

Sale director of rugby Steve Diamond: "We started really well, and played well in the first half, but fair play to Gloucester, they got their backsides into gear and we couldn't control possession.

"I am disappointed with the result, but we scored four tries and we go away with two points. We have got to be thankful for that.

"The attitude of the lads is good. We just let ourselves down with not being able to retain possession, but we took our options well in the first half with Danny orchestrating everything. He is playing well."

Saturday's line-ups

Gloucester: Cook, Sharples, Trinder, Twelvetrees, May, Hook, Laidlaw, Murphy, Hibbard, Afoa, Savage, Hudson, Kalamafoni, Rowan, B. Morgan.

Replacements: Dawidiuk, Y. Thomas, Puafisi, Palmer, Moriarty, Robson, Atkinson, McColl.

Sale: McLean, Brady, Addison, Jennings, Arscott, Cipriani, Cusiter, Harrison, Jones, Cobilas, Hines, Mills, Paterson, Seymour, Easter.

Replacements: Mamukashvilli, De Marchi, Lewis-Roberts, Ostrikov, Lund, Cliff, Ford, Forsyth.

Attendance: 12,353

Referee: Greg Garner (RFU)

Top Stories