Munster 35-29 Glasgow Warriors

Johnnie Beattie tackles Simon Zebo at Musgrave Park

Ian Keatley kicked 20 points as Munster held off their fellow play-off hopefuls Glasgow in the Pro12 encounter.

Tries from Luke O'Dea and Peter O'Mahony helped the holders lead 18-6 at half-time at Musgrave Park.

Two superb tries from Stuart Hogg in a five-minute spell got Glasgow to within five points of the home side.

But Keatley's right boot and a Conor Murray try made the game safe although Hogg's third try helped Glasgow earn a precious losing bonus point.

Jackson booted the Warriors ahead with a 10th-minute penalty as Munster, in the wake of last weekend's Heineken Cup exit, made a slow start.

However, Keatley levelled in the 19th minute and as Munster picked up the pace, good work by Donncha O'Callaghan set up O'Dea's try.

Obstruction from Wian du Preez, straight from the restart, allowed Jackson to double his kicking tally but Keatley quickly responded in kind before man of the match O'Mahony notched Munster's second try in first-half injury-time.

The Ireland back rower did brilliantly to scramble over despite the presence of three Glasgow defenders close to their line, with Keatley adding the conversion.

The Scots needed to show more urgency on the resumption and they did just that with speedster Hogg spearheading a counter-attack over halfway and then burning off two defenders for a fine score in the corner.

The gap remained five points but the 64th minute after Keatley's six further points had been cancelled out by Jackson and Weir penalties.

Keatley replied with a penalty but a neat one-two between Hogg and Colin Shaw unlocked the Munster defence again as the centre scampered through for a second touchdown to cut the margin to five points.

The gap was still five points by the 64th minute after Keatley's six further points had been cancelled out by Jackson and Weir penalties.

However, Munster were finally able to get some breathing space after Glasgow winger Federico Aramburu was sin-binned for not rolling away.

Keatley sent the resulting penalty through the uprights and then replacement Murray dotted down in the left corner after Lifeimi Mafi's skilful offload had released Simon Zebo.

The victory was within Munster's grasp although a midfield mistake gifted a third try to Hogg with Weir's simple conversion ensuring Glasgow's losing bonus point.

Munster: F Jones; L O'Dea, J Murphy, L Mafi, S Zebo; I Keatley, T O'Leary: W du Preez, M Sherry, S Archer; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll capt; D Ryan, T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony.

Replacements: I Dineen for O'Dea 73, C Murray for O'Leary 55, M Horan for du Preez 55, D Varley for Sherry 66, P Butler for O'Donnell 70

Not Used: J Ryan, B Holland, S Deasy

Glasgow Warriors: P Murchie; F Aramburu, S Hogg, A Dunbar, C Shaw; Jackson, Cusiter; J Welsh, P MacArthur, M Cusack, R Gray, A Kellock (capt), R Harley, C Fusaro, J Beattie.

Replacements: T Seymour for Shaw 73, D Weir for Jackson 55, H Pyrgos for Cusiter 40, R Grant for Welsh 40, D Hall for MacArthur 52, M Low for Cusack 52, T Ryder for Gray 65, C Forrester for Beattie 70

Top Stories