Ulster 22-5 Harlequins

Ulster got the perfect boost for the start of next week's Pro12 League with a deserved victory over Premiership side Harlequins at Ravenhill.

Craig Gilroy's try and five points from Ian Humphreys helped Ulster lead 10-5 at half-time.

Karl Dickson scored Harlequins' first-half try which proved to the English club's only points on the night.

Lively scrum-half Paul Marshall and flanker Willie Faloon added second-half tries for Ulster.

It took all of 22 minutes before the scoreboard got rolling with winger Gilroy hacking through after a Quins movement broke down deep in Ulster territory.

Gilroy controlled the ball well in a foot rush and after shouldering the chasing Ross Chisholm off the ball, he followed up to touch down with Humphreys adding the extras.

Up until then, Ulster were matching the physicality of the big Quins side with Conor Gaston, Darren Cave and Gilroy all making breaks with quick feet and scrum-half Marshall proving a real menace.

Quins got on the board on the run-up to half-time with Ugo Moyne and Jordan Turner-Hall doing the bulldozing from deep through the middle before Chisholm gave a scoring pass to scrum-half Dickson who was involved twice in the breakaway.

Ulster increased their lead immediately after the restart with Marshall making the best of bad possession at the tail of a scrum to sprint up the touchline, field his own kick ahead and slide over the line with Humphreys again converting.

Faloon put the icing on the cake for Ulster as he barged his way over from 10 metres with two minutes remaining.

Ulster: A D'Arcy; C Gaston (Nelson, 71); D Cave (L Marshall, 77), N Spence (Whitten, 50), C Gilroy; I Humphreys (Jackson 61), P Marshall (Porter, 70); P McAllister (Black, 54), A Kyriacou, J Cronin (Macklin, 79), L Stevenson (Barker, 50), N McComb (Tuohy, 61), P Wannenburg (Diack, 70), W Faloon, C Henry, capt.

Harlequins: M Brown (Smith, 67); R Chisholm, G Lowe, J Turner-Hall (Urdapilleta, 71), U Monye (Walker, 70); N Evans (Clegg, 57), K Dickson (Bolt, 64); J Marler (Lambert, 64), J Gray (Brooker, 40), J Johnston (Fairbrother, 56), O Kohn (Mathews, 64), G Robson (Browne, 53), C Robshaw, capt, W Skinner (Wallace, 67), T Guest (York, 40).

Referee: Leo Colgan (IRFU).