Edinburgh 32-15 Aironi

Mike Blair retains possession for Edinburgh against Aironi
Mike Blair retains possession for Edinburgh

Edinburgh recorded a bonus point win against Magners League bottom side Aironi at Murrayfield.

Fraser McKenzie, due to join Sale Sharks this summer, claimed the hosts' first try and Mike Blair and Tim Visser also went over before the interval.

Substitute Chris Paterson crossed the line in the second half with Greig Laidlaw kicking 12 points.

Danwel Demas and Nick Williams grounded Aironi's tries, James Marshall adding a conversion and a penalty.

Aironi were looking to record their first away win in the Magners League while also avoiding a second straight defeat at the hands of Scottish opposition, Glasgow Warriors having beaten the Italians last weekend.

But the visitors found themselves behind within four minutes.

A precise lineout feed by Scott MacLeod started a sweeping move that ended when McKenzie touched down.

Laidlaw converted and then put his side 13-0 up with a penalty, awarded after he had been blocked following his own chip ahead.

But Laidlaw was then himself penalised for knocking forward a pass from Matteo Pratichetti that was aimed at the lurking Williams. Laidlaw was sin-binned and Marshall was successful with the penalty to give Aironi their first points of the evening.

With Laidlaw temporarily absent, Jim Thompson kicked Edinburgh's next penalty attempt but missed the posts.

Referee John Lacey produced two further yellow cards to send Edinburgh's Esteban Lozada and Aironi's Marco Bortolami to the sin bin after the pair clashed.

Edinburgh stretched their lead when Blair broke clear from a ruck to register the home side's second try before Visser raced past two opponents to cross the line, Laidlaw converting both tries.

But Aironi reduced the deficit to 16 points when Demas received Gareth Krause's intelligent pass to go over. Marshall missed the conversion.

Demas stopped Visser claiming a second try midway through the second half but it only delayed Edinburgh's bonus-point try.

Nick de Luca ran the length of the field off an interception and offloaded to fellow substitute Paterson, who touched down in the corner.

Williams powered over for Aironi's second try and his New Zealand compatriot Marshall added the conversion.

Laidlaw added a late penalty to complete the scoring as Edinburgh moved up to eighth in the table.

Edinburgh: Thompson, Webster, Cairns, King, Visser, Laidlaw, M. Blair, Traynor, Kelly, G. Cross, MacLeod, Lozada, McKenzie, Grant, Denton.

Replacements: Paterson for Thompson (53), L. Jones for Webster (66), De Luca for Cairns (41), Walker for Kelly (64), Young for G. Cross (50), S. Turnbull for Lozada (59), McInally for McKenzie (41). Not Used: Niven.

Aironi Rugby: Rubini, Robertson, Pavan, Pratichetti, Demas, Marshall, Canavosio, Perugini, Ongaro, Gamboa, Bortolami, Geldenhuys, Cattina, Krause, Williams.

Replacements: Pizarro for Robertson (41), Bocchino for Pavan (71), A. De Marchi for Perugini (50), Ferraro for Ongaro (65), Staibano for Gamboa (41), Biagi for Geldenhuys (61), Erasmus for Cattina (46). Not Used: Tebaldi.

Att: 1,565

Ref: John Lacey (Ireland)