Super League: Warrington Wolves 24-32 Salford - Red Devils fight back with late tries to beat Wire

Jack Ormondroyd scored two of Salford's four second-half tries to stun Warrington
Jack Ormondroyd scored two of Salford's four second-half tries to stun Warrington
Betfred Super League
Warrington (6) 24
Tries: Clark, Ratchford, Widdop, Thewlis Goals: Ratchford 4
Salford (8) 32
Tries: Ormondroyd 2, Williams, Cross, Atkin, Brierley Goals: Sneyd 4

Salford Red Devils scored four late tries as they turned the game around for a second time to win at fellow Super League strugglers Warrington.

Having led 8-0 after Rhys Williams and Dean Cross crossed, Salford conceded four tries either side of the break.

Stefan Ratchford, Gareth Widdop and Josh Thewlis scored for Wire, to add to Daryl Clark's first-half try.

But Salford came from 24-8 down to win with tries from Jack Ormondroyd (2), Chris Atkin and Ryan Brierley.

It had looked like Wire would take full advantage of a yellow card for England international Kallum Watkins on the stroke of half-time when they scored 12 points against Salford's 12 men.

But the hosts, who had Jake Wardle and Greg Minikin making their debuts, collapsed in the final quarter.

Watkins did brilliantly to get his pass away in the tackle and that set up the chance for the supporting Atkin to force his way over.

Marc Sneyd, who had missed his first two conversion attempts, kicked the goal to cut Warrington's lead to 10 points with 25 minutes remaining.

But it was then two tries in three minutes from Ormondroyd which turned the game decisively for Salford.

Sneyd converted both to put the Red Devils 26-24 ahead - and, with time almost up, there was more to come.

Full-back Brierley went racing in under the posts for a try which was again converted by Sneyd - to lift Salford to seventh in the table.

They go two points clear of Daryl Powell's Warrington, who remain 10th, having won just six of their 17 games this term.

Warrington head coach Daryl Powell:

"I am hugely disappointed. Our start to the second half was outstanding and we were in an awesome position at 24-8.

"Our thinking in those kinds of situations is not strong enough. A couple of errors early in the penalty count put us under pressure and mentally we didn't handle them. We just can't lose the game from that position.

"Salford threw a fair bit at us but we have ourselves to blame for that. We have to be stronger mentally and physically. It's a tough one to take. We are at home and have lost a game where we got into a winning position.

"We should be better than we are defensively but we aren't. The mental issues are tougher to break down than the physical ones. We have to have players doing their jobs better."

Salford head coach Paul Rowley:

"I was really emotional at the end. I know how hard the players work and I know how much they want it. As coaches and players, we have all developed.

"Warrington spent about 40% more than us - I think we're the lowest in Super League. We have not got a big squad but sometimes special things happen with a group in adversity.

"Warrington have got some big bodies that can do a job on them. But we came up with something special. We all believe in the same process.

"The skill that we showed at the start of the game where we could have scored a few more tries was outstanding. We got hit with nine penalties, suffered a sin-bin and that took the juice out of us.

"Brodie Croft is turning into one of the best half-backs in the Super League. We have a good spine with Croft, Ryan Brierley and Marc Sneyd, which leads us around well.

"Jack Ormondroyd missed quite a lot of pre-season through illness. But it's not where you start it's where you finish. He got a couple of tries for his hard work."

Warrington: Widdop; Minikin, Wrench, Wardle, Thewlis; Mata'utia, Ratchford; Mulhern, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Holmes, Davis.

Interchanges: Bullock, Walker, Harrison, Mikaele.

Salford: Brierley; Sio, Cross, Lafai, Williams; Croft, Sneyd, Ormondroyd, Ackers, Gerrard, Livett, Watkins, Akauola.

Interchanges: Atkin, Costello, Luckley, Dupree.

Referee: Robert Hicks.

Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC