Super League: Wigan Warriors 16-14 Hull FC - Cherry and Whites maintain 100% record

Wigan Warriors have now won all six of their matches across Super League and the Challenge Cup this season
Wigan Warriors have now won all six of their matches across Super League and the Challenge Cup this season
Betfred Super League
Wigan (10) 16
Tries: Hastings, Farrell, Bibby Goals: Hardaker 2
Hull FC (8) 14
Tries: Swift, Fonua Goals: Sneyd 3

Wigan maintained their 100% record as they edged out Hull FC in a tight Super League game at the DW Stadium.

Jackson Hastings put Wigan ahead but Hull levelled through Adam Swift, while Liam Farrell edged Wigan in front.

Mahe Fonua pulled Hull back in it but Jake Bibby's twisted finish and a Zak Hardaker penalty sealed a Wigan win.

Earlier, Hull's Andre Savelio made an allegation that a Wigan player used a racist remark, with referee James Child putting the incident on report.

The victory is Wigan's fifth in Super League this season and sixth in all competitions after they sealed a place in the Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

Hull's unbeaten start to the season comes to an end, however, but the two sides will face off once again next week in the Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

In a highly-charged first half, Hull's Jake Connor was sent to the bin for his part in an aerial collision with Hardaker that left the Wigan full-back needing treatment.

Just prior to Connor's yellow card, Hull lost Scott Taylor to a foot injury just as they were beginning to take the game to Wigan, who stormed out of the blocks thanks to Hastings' try.

Savelio's allegation of a racist remark comes on the same day that the Rugby Football League and its leading clubs announced they would join a social media boycott this weekend to tackle abuse and discrimination.

Wigan Warriors head coach Adrian Lam told BBC Radio Manchester:

"I was proud of our boys and how courageous we were. The game was very stop-start and it was hard to get a rhythm and momentum.

"We coughed up a few errors early on which put ourselves under pressure so we only had ourselves to blame.

"It's up there with the hardest game we've had this season. We've only had five games so it's only early on in the season and one that we needed I feel."

Hull FC boss Brett Hodgson told BBC Radio Humberside:

"It was a really tight game. We knew it would be. Wigan just don't go away. They play for 80 minutes every single week.

"I think the better team won. Wigan were slightly better than us today and I think we lacked that clinical finish to our sets and didn't apply enough pressure down their end of the field.

"Ultimately the effort was there again and we're just making it a little bit too hard for ourselves."

Wigan: Hardaker, Bibby, Isa, Farrell, French, Smith, Hastings, Singleton, Powell, Clubb, Bateman, Smithies, Partington.

Interchanges: Bullock, Byrne, Havard, Shorrocks.

Hull FC: Connor, Fonua, Tuimavave, Griffin, Swift; McNamara, Sneyd, Sao, Houghton, Taylor; Lane, Savelio, Cator.

Interchanges: Satae, Johnstone, Fash, Scott.

Referee: J. Child.

Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC