Super League: Wigan Warriors beat Hull KR 36-18 to go third

George Williams opened the scoring for Wigan at the DW Stadium
George Williams opened the scoring for Wigan at the DW Stadium
Betfred Super League
Wigan (12) 36
Tries: Farrell 2, Williams, Marshall, Burgess, Clubb Goals: Hardaker 6
Hull KR (12) 18
Tries: Shaw, Crooks, Drinkwater Goals: Shaw 3

Wigan put the pressure on the teams chasing runaway leaders St Helens as they ran in six tries to beat relegation-threatened Hull KR.

Rovers bravely kept pace as tries for George Williams, Liam Marshall and Liam Farrell helped Wigan lead three times, only to be matched by tries for Ryan Shaw, Ben Crooks and Josh Drinkwater.

But, from 18-18 soon after the break, Wigan then found some breathing space.

Farrell, Joe Burgess and Tony Clubb crossed, all improved by Zak Hardaker.

The Wigan full-back kicked all six conversions to help Adrian Lam's improving side climb above Hull FC into third with their eighth win in nine games.

Burgess's try, just before being substituted, was his 100th for Wigan, while there was a bench appearance from new Australian signing Bevan French.

Tony Smith's Rovers failed to build on last Sunday's Danny McGuire-inspired golden-point win over Castleford and remain two points above bottom side London Broncos.

Smith opted to leave out McGuire, to keep him fit for next week's crucial game against fellow strugglers Wakefield.

It was a third defeat of the season for the Robins, who were thrashed 52-10 by Wigan at the DW Stadium last month, but were beaten 19-18 only by a late Sam Powell drop-goal at Craven Park in June.

Wigan are now on 28 points, just two behind Warrington, who they host next weekend. But still only six points separate second-placed Wire from seventh-placed Castleford.

Wigan coach Adrian Lam:

"We didn't start well and put ourselves under pressure, But the second half was better and we got through OK injury-wise.

"I was frustrated with some of the tries Hull KR scored from kicks but the positive was that we managed to score nearly 40 points.

"We missed Liam Farrell at the start of the year but he certainly stabilises the team.

"I'd like Bevan French to have more time. He looks electrifying when he's got the ball in his hand but it's hard to get him a start because everyone's playing pretty well."

Hull KR coach Tony Smith:

"It was a short turnaround for Danny McGuire but he'll be available and so will a few more. We picked a team which showed they're capable and they weren't far off getting a result.

"Wigan deserved to win but we were right in it for a long time. I am proud of the effort we put in but we made too many errors at crucial times.

"Some of our game management wasn't quite right. We passed the ball forward too many times and that's just inviting trouble against anyone, let alone a team with Wigan's artillery.

"We could have probably gone in at half-time leading by 12 but we bombed two clear tries. I thought we gave Wigan a shake."

Wigan: Hardaker; Marshall, Hankinson, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Leuluai; Clubb, Powell, Partington, Isa, Farrell, Smithies.

Interchanges: Flower, Greenwood, Byrne, French.

Hull KR: Quinlan; Shaw, Crooks, Keinhorst, Dagger; Lewis, Drinkwater; Masoe, Atkin, Murray, Tomkins, Hauraki, Hadley.

Interchanges: Mulhern, Harrison, Litten, Trout.

Referee: Chris Kendall (RFL).

Top Stories