Super League: Castleford Tigers 27-18 Warrington Wolves

James Clare
James Clare has scored seven tries in his past four games
Betfred Super League
Castleford Tigers (12) 27
Tries: Clare, Minikin, Trueman, Egodo Goals: Mata'utia 5 Drop-goal: Trueman
Warrington Wolves (8) 18
Tries: Mamo, Lineham, King Goals: Patton 3

Castleford Tigers moved into Super League's top five after overcoming second-placed Warrington Wolves.

A James Clare try and three Peter Mata'utia penalties put Castleford 12-8 up the break, with Jake Mamo grabbing Wolves' try in response.

Tom Lineham's early second-half score then gave Warrington a momentary lead.

Three tries in 14 minutes from Greg Minikin, Jake Trueman and Tuoyo Egodo ensured victory, with a late Toby King score for Wolves of little consequence.

With six matches of the regular season remaining, Castleford move to fifth in the table and equal on points with fourth-placed Wigan and Catalans Dragons, who slipped to sixth after their 40-14 defeat by Salford.

Despite suffering a second successive loss, having gone down to Salford in the previous round, Warrington remain clear in second and 10 points adrift of leaders St Helens after they were stunned by bottom side London Broncos.

Selection controversy

While the Wire were boosted by having Chris Hill and Mike Cooper in their starting line-up, it was the exclusion of Harvey Livett and Luis Johnson that created pre-match controversy.

The pair had been recalled from their loans with Hull KR on Friday, less than 10 hours before they were due to play for Rovers against Huddersfield, and included in Warrington's extended 21-man squad.

After a tense 18-12 defeat, Rovers coach Tony Smith had said he "can't complain" and that he felt there was not "anything sinister" in having them return to their parent club.

But with both left out for the trip to Yorkshire, it again raises questions about how the Wire have handled the pair in recent days.

In a tight first half, Declan Patton booted the Wire into the lead and they were soon pressing for the first try.

However, a poor pass from Blake Austin, who was named in England's Elite Performance Squad last week, saw not only Warrington squander a chance close to the line but allowed Tigers to pounce in response as Clare crossed just a minute later.

Mata'utia added the extras and went on to kick three first-half penalties, while Wolves pulled a try back through Mamo.

While Lineham's try put the visitors ahead, the advantage was short lived as three quick tries - including a fine 80 metre effort from Trueman after scooping up possession following a wild offload from Josh Charnley - sealed it.

Castleford head coach Daryl Powell told BBC Radio Leeds:

"A really good performance - we've been talking a fair bit about backing up performances, efforts and attitude and I thought we did that.

"I thought they started really well and we struggled to contain them but once we got into the pace of the game I thought we were excellent.

"It's a big result for us - obviously looking at the table - results have gone our way a little bit and it gets us into the top five."

Warrington coach Steve Price:

"We've got a footy team there, keep believing. You have your hurdles throughout the season. It's not always going to be perfect. It's a challenge I'm really looking forward to.

"It wasn't one of our better displays. We had 16 errors for the whole game and when you're dishing that amount of errors you're never going to give yourself a chance are you.

"There was a number of tough calls throughout the game, but we have to be better than that. We have to deal with it and that's our challenge now."

Castleford Tigers: Rankin; Clare, Minikin, Mata'utia, Egodo; Trueman, McShane; Massey, Milner, Clarkson, Holmes, McMeeken, Sene-Lefao.

Replacements: Watts, Millington, Ashton, Smith.

Warrington: Mamo; Lineham, Goodwin, King, Charnley; Austin, Patton; Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, J Clark.

Replacements: Tasi, Philbin, Walker, Davis.

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas (RFL)