Super League: Albert Kelly on the mark as Hull hang on to win 19-6 at Warrington

Star playmaker Albert Kelly was among Hull's three try scorers in their 19-12 win at Warrington
Star playmaker Albert Kelly was among Hull's three try scorers in their 19-12 win at Warrington
Betfred Super League
Warrington Wolves (6) 12
Tries: King, Austin Goals: Ratchford 2
Hull FC (18) 19
Tries: Paea, Taylor, Kelly Goals: Sneyd 3 Drop goal: Sneyd

Warrington lost ground on leaders St Helens as they crashed to defeat at home to fellow Super League top-five contenders Hull FC.

Micky Paea, Scott Taylor and Albert Kelly all crossed for the Black and Whites to earn an 18-6 half-time lead.

Although Super League top scorer Blake Austin touched down to add to Toby King's converted first-half try, at 18-12, that was as close as the Wire got.

And a late drop-goal for Marc Sneyd, who landed three kicks, shut the door.

It was also made clear after the game that Warrington scrum-half Declan Patton was put on report for an alleged bite on centre Jake Connor - which Hull boss Lee Radford and Wire counterpart Steve Price both refused to comment on.

Bureta Faraimo, Sika Manu and Danny Houghton were all surprise omissions from the visitors' team when the sides were announced, Hull coach Lee Radford revealing that all three had pulled up with injuries in Friday's "team run from hell".

But despite their makeshift squad, Hull, heavily beaten here on their past three visits, this time got it right to climb to fourth in the table.

After King grabbed an early try for the hosts, it looked as if the Wire might be on course to add to their aggregate score of 173-34 in this fixture over the last three meetings, including last season's 80-10 defeat.

Hull replied with three tries in eight first-half minutes before the Wire got within six points following Austin's 15th try of the season.

The visitors then lost Connor for 10 minutes, sin-binned for throwing a punch at Bryson Goodwin. But their gritty defence laid the platform for a valuable two points.

After Sneyd had landed the drop-goal to ensure Warrington needed two scores for victory, Ben Murdoch-Masila was also sin-binned late on - and that helped the visitors hold on.

Hull are now four points behind second-placed Warrington, who are six points off top spot, following St Helens' dramatic Friday night comeback win at home to Salford.

Warrington head coach Steve Price:

"It was a game where we had our chances. We got held up over the try-line three or four times but just couldn't convert it to points.

"But well done to Hull. They were gallant, they fought, they scrambled well. They were just a bit better than us.

"They came with a plan to slow the game down. It was a frustrating game. It started at three o'clock and finished at five, so it was a long game.

"But we have to be better than that. Simple as that. We have still got a good football team there."

Hull boss Lee Radford:

"We got a gut full of their social media this week about how many points they had put on us previously.

"It was so disrespectful, it gets teams' backs up. There is a good way to win, you don't have to embarrass people. So it played a part.

"Last time I was here, I described it as 'a load of young kids going out' and it was like Gladiator, before going out into the Colosseum.

"That's what the changing rooms looked like. They looked sheepish, they were petrified. This time there was a bounce in the changing room. Tonnes of good energy."

Warrington: Ratchford; Goodwin, Atkins, King, Charnley; Austin, Patton; Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, Westwood.

Interchanges: Murdoch-Masila, J Clark, Philbin, Akauola.

Sin Bin: Murdoch-Masila (78).

Hull FC: Shaul; Naulago, Connor, Griffin, Buchanan; Kelly, Sneyd; Taylor, Washbrook, Paea, Minichiello, Hadley, Westerman.

Interchanges: Fash, Green, Matongo, Thompson.

Referee: James Child (RFL).

Sin Bin: Connor (57).