Super League: Wakefield Trinity 30-20 Wigan Warriors

Ben Jones-Bishop
Ben Jones-Bishop joined Wakefield in 2016 after six years with Leeds and a season with Salford
Betfred Super League
Wakefield (16) 30
Tries: Jones-Bishop 2, Kopczak, Arundel, Jowitt Goals: Brough 5
Wigan (4) 20
Tries: Burgess 3, Williams Goals: Escare 2

Ben Jones-Bishop scored two second-half tries as Wakefield beat Wigan in a thrilling Super League encounter.

Joe Burgess put Wigan ahead with his sixth try in three games and ended on the losing side despite a hat-trick.

Wakefield turned it around to lead 16-4 at half-time with tries from Craig Kopczak, Joe Arundel and Max Jowitt.

Jones-Bishop's double proved enough for the home side and, despite Burgess completing his treble and George Williams going over, Wigan fell short.

The visitors were dealt a blow on their arrival at the stadium when full-back Zak Hardaker had to pull out of the squad because of a "family emergency", while Wakefield lost Anthony England inside the opening 10 minutes to a knee injury.

Despite Wakefield being on top in the opening stages, Wigan went ahead when Burgess collected Williams' long pass for the game's first try.

Reece Lyne became the second Wakefield player to be helped from the field before the home side, who had looked set for a four-point deficit at half-time, stunned Wigan with three tries in three minutes just before the break.

Kopczak's direct drive saw him force his way over, Ryan Hampshire's short pass set up Arundel and David Fifita fed Jowitt following a lightning quick break down the left-hand side to set up a 12-point lead.

Jones-Bishop's first was set up by great work from Justin Horo and he later collected a kick from Kyle Wood.

On both occasions, Wigan hit back as Williams spun away from a tackle to go over and Burgess grabbed his second in the left-hand corner.

Burgess completed his hat-trick when he beat his man to dive over, but the comeback was too late for last year's champions who slumped to their seventh defeat of the season.

Wakefield, who recorded a third straight win, also lost Jacob Miller and Kyle Wood to injury while Pauli Pauli was sin-binned in the dying seconds following an altercation.

Wakefield head coach Chris Chester:

"I've not really had chance to speak to the physio but Jacob Miller doesn't look great, Anthony England was a clash of knees, Reece Lyne another knee and Kyle Wood ankle.

"It was a crazy game and a lot of naughty stuff went on tonight which I think should have been penalised.

"We've lost four blokes. It's a tough one and kind of takes the gloss off the result. With a couple of them I don't think it's going to be short term either."

Wigan head coach Adrian Lam:

"It was frustrating. With the side we had we competed well for 35 minutes then four or five minutes of mayhem turned the whole game.

"It's hard to get angry at the players when they're doing their best. There's a lot of young players in there so I just want to keep their confidence up during this period and support them. We need to stick together.

"I'm looking forward to making sure we just get through this period in good shape and when players start coming back I think we can do some really damaging stuff at the back end of the year."

Wakefield: Hampshire; Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Arundel, Jowitt; Miller, Brough; Fifita, Wood, England, Pauli, Ashurst, Arona.

Interchanges: Horo, Kopczak, Hirst, King.

Wigan: Escare; Davies, Sarginson, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Jake Shorrocks; Bullock, Leuluai, Navarrete, Isa, Paisley, Smithies.

Interchanges: Powell, Tautai, Partington, Joe Shorrocks.

Referee: Robert Hicks