Super League: Warrington Wolves 25-12 Wigan Warriors

Josh Charnley scores a try for Warrington against Wigan
Warrington's Josh Charnley scored against his former club
Betfred Super League
Warrington (12) 25
Tries: Mamo, Ratchford, Charnley, Hughes Goals: Ratchford 4 Drop-goal: Patton
Wigan (0) 12
Tries: Davies, Isa Goals: Hardaker 2

Warrington inflicted a fourth straight defeat on defending champions Wigan to move up to second in Super League.

The hosts dominated the first hour to go 18-0 ahead as Jake Mamo, Stefan Ratchford and Josh Charnley all scored.

However, converted tries from Tom Davies and Willie Isa brought Wigan back into the game.

Declan Patton's drop-goal gave the Wolves breathing space and, despite having Ben Westwood sent off, Jack Hughes' try at the death settled it.

Steve Price's men controlled the first half, with Mamo scoring in the corner and Ratchford adding their second try after picking up a pass from Ben Currie and breaking through the Wigan defence.

Charnley capitalised on poor defending from Morgan Escare to gather Blake Austin's high kick and acrobatically touch down in the corner to score against his former side, but Wigan then mounted a comeback despite having Dan Sarginson in the sin-bin for a high tackle.

Davies latched on to a smart grubber kick from Jake Shorrocks to dab down in the corner and three minutes later a pass from George Williams allowed Isa to pounce on a gap and make it 18-12.

After Patton's close-range drop-goal had settled the home side's nerves, Isa sparked a melee after a late hit in Warrington's in-goal area, and he and Patton were sent to the bin, with Westwood seeing red for an head-butt on Escare.

Hughes powered over from close range as Warrington reversed the result of 2018's Grand Final to leave Wigan languishing in 10th place after six games of the campaign.

A second successive win put Warrington two points behind unbeaten leaders St Helens.

Warrington coach Steve Price:

"I thought we played some really good footy in patches and we had an opportunity to close that game out.

"Credit to Wigan, they've been the benchmark team for a number of years now. They're resilient and we knew they weren't going to go away.

"They had a crack but we stayed in the fight and to come away with the win was very pleasing.

"I thought Daryl Clark was outstanding but there were a number of really good performances."

Price played down the significance of the brawl, saying: "It lived up to the hype but no one got hurt."

Wigan coach Adrian Lam:

"I'm really proud of the team. I couldn't be happier.

"I know we lost the game but there were signs there that we're back as a team.

"Obviously there is still some work to do but it was a completely different team to last week. You could see the desperation when we were down to 12 men, we defended like Wigan defend.

"We hadn't seen that as a coaching staff and I said to the coaches in the box 'this is a turning point'.

"I thought the boys stood up and, with a bit of luck and a penalty count in our favour, it may have been different."

Warrington: Ratchford, Charnley, King, Atkins, Mamo, Austin, Patton, Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, Westwood.

Replacements: Murdoch-Masila, J Clark, Tasi, Philbin.

Sin bin: Patton (74).

Red card: Westwood (74).

Wigan: Hardaker, Davies, Sarginson, Gildart, Escare, Williams, Sammut, Clubb, Leuluai, Navarrete, Greenwood, Isa, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Hamlin, Bullock, Partington, Shorrocks.

Sin bin: Sarginson (51), Isa (74)

Referee: Ben Thaler.

Attendance: 13,106.

Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC