Challenge Cup: Warrington Wolves 23-0 Wigan Warriors

Media playback is not supported on this device

Highlights: Warrington Wolves 23-0 Wigan Warriors
Ladbrokes Challenge Cup
Warrington (16) 23
Tries: Brown, Murdoch-Masila, Charnley, Patton Goals: Livett 2, Goodwin Drop-goal: Roberts
Wigan (0)

Warrington scored three first-half tries to beat last season's Challenge Cup finalists Wigan and reach the last four of the competition.

Kevin Brown wrongfooted the Wigan defence to open the scoring after a frenetic first 10 minutes of the tie.

The Wire led 16-0 at half-time as Ben Murdoch-Masila crashed over and Josh Charnley ran in against his old club.

Wigan had Tommy Leuluai sin-binned after the interval and Declan Patton's late try added gloss to the result.

Shaun Wane's side beat Warrington convincingly at Magic Weekend last month, but the closest they came to getting off the mark was when Oliver Gildart's touchdown was chalked off for a forward pass.

Wing Charnley, 26, left Wigan in 2016 to move into rugby union and finished in the corner with the final play before the break.

To compound matters Warriors saw Canberra-bound prop Ryan Sutton limp off with a knee problem in the second half.

The tie already looked beyond the visitors when Leuluai was shown a yellow for a cannonball tackle on the legs of Ben Westwood, as Warrington avenged their defeat to the same opponents in last season's quarter-finals.

Steve Price's Wire join Catalans Dragons and Leeds Rhinos in the semi-finals, which will be played as a double-header at Bolton Wanderers' Macron Stadium on Sunday, 5 August.

The final semi-final place will be decided when Super League leaders St Helens take on Hull FC on Sunday.

Warrington Wolves head coach Steve Price told BBC Sport:

"It was our best performance to date. The first half was outstanding. Tyrone Roberts was super, the way he controlled the game and defended was superb.

"We have a football team here. When you bring a key playmaker from Australia it takes time for them to bed in.

"I'm really pleased with the whole team today. To keep a team like Wigan to zero points is a tremendous effort."

Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane told BBC Sport:

"It hurts more than you can imagine. We got beaten in every department there is. By far the best team won and they deserve to be in the semi-finals.

"I'm disappointing in the manner we went about it. The points they scored and how they scored them is disturbing. It's not the Wigan standard.

"There were two different teams today. I've said that to the players. They're honest but I didn't see anyone at a Wigan standards today."

Warrington: Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, Atkins, Charnley, Brown, Roberts, Hill, Clark, Cooper, Livett, Hughes, Westwood.

Replacements: Murdoch-Masila, Patton, Philbin, Akauola.

Wigan: S Tomkins, Davies, Bateman, Gildart, Marshall, Williams, Powell, Clubb, Leuluai, Flower, Isa, Farrell, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: J Tomkins, Sutton, Tautai, Escare.

Referee: Robert Hicks.