Super League: Hull FC 36-12 Castleford Tigers

Sika Manu looks around the field for Hull FC
Sika Manu's two tries against Castleford were his first tries of the Super League season
Betfred Super League
Hull FC (20) 36
Tries: Manu 2, Shaul, Faraimo 2, Griffin Goals: Sneyd 2, Connor 4
Castleford Tigers (6) 12)
Tries: McShane, Turner Goals: Ellis 2

Hull FC ruthlessly took advantage of an under-strength Castleford Tigers squad to move into Super League's top four.

Two tries apiece from Sika Manu and Bureta Faraimo, plus scores by Jamie Shaul and Josh Griffin, were evidence of their ability to finish chances.

Cas replied through Paul McShane and debutant Calum Turner, who was denied another score by the touch judges.

Injuries to Jake Trueman and Grant Millington only further hampered the visitors' progress.

Lee Radford's side lost to Catalans in Perpignan last weekend without several key players but the return of Marc Sneyd - albeit temporarily after he limped off with a medial collateral ligament injury - and Shaul gave them organisation and pace.

Although Albert Kelly - whose new two-year deal with the Airlie Birds was announced before kick-off - was out injured, Jake Connor shone in his playmaker role and his kicking game caused Cas no end of problems.

Shorn of Luke Gale's calm and poise at half-back for three months with a fractured knee-cap, Castleford were forced to shuffle their side with hooker McShane in the halves and back-rowers Joe Wardle and Alex Foster in the centres.

However, the loss of Trueman and Millington further exacerbated the situation and left the Tigers down on interchanges in the sweltering heat.

In the end Hull were just too powerful, with the destructive running of Manu, Griffin and Faraimo on the right edge in particular proving the focal point of five of their six tries scored.

Hull FC boss Lee Radford:

"It's a blow for us [losing Marc Sneyd]. We're running short of pivots. Not playing him last week hurt us.

"To not have him, the next man that steps up has to do a fantastic job. Jake took over the authority on the field and kicking duties and did well on both.

"We are in a luxurious position to have a back up of that calibre and it's now a real test for us moving forward. We're not as fluent as we want to be."

Castleford boss Daryl Powell:

"The first half was interesting. (We're) going back to needing a video ref at every game. It's an absolute shambles, players running outside the shoulder line, nothing gets picked up.

"So we have to go back to blokes diving on the floor to show referees who don't know what they are looking for what to look for. I can't believe some of the lines that were run today that weren't picked up.

""I thought we were outstanding in the second half. It was more like us. I said at half-time we needed to complete at 90 or 100 per cent and we'll win the game. There was nothing in the game. I thought the final score was harsh on us.

"I'm happier after this game than I was after beating Huddersfield because that's more of a Castleford performance."

Hull FC: Shaul; Faraimo, Griffin, Tuimavave, Talanoa; Connor, Sneyd; Taylor, Houghton, Bowden, Minichiello, Manu, Hadley.

Replacements: Green, Matongo, Paea, Westerman.

Castleford Tigers: Trueman; Minikin, Foster, Wardle, Shenton; Ellis, McShane; Watts, Milner, Sene-Lefao, Holmes, McMeeken, Cook.

Replacements: Moors, Millington, Springer, Turner.

Referee: Gareth Hewer.

Top Stories