Super League: Hull FC 22-26 Leigh Centurions

Matty Dawson
Dawson has scored five tries in his past three Super League appearances
Betfred Super League
Hull FC (10) 22
Tries: Shaul 2, Tuimavave, Kelly Goals: Sneyd 3
Leigh Centurions (14) 26
Tries: Dawson 2, Vea 2, Reynolds Goals: Reynolds 3

Matty Dawson and Atelea Vea scored two tries each to help Leigh overcome Hull FC and end a nine-match losing run.

Second-from-bottom Leigh led 14-10 at the break thanks to Dawson's brace and Vea's first, while Jamie Shaul and Carlos Tuimavave went over in response.

Ben Reynolds converted his own try edge Leigh further ahead before Albert Kelly put Shaul over for his second try.

Kelly ensured a tense finish with a late try, but Leigh held on for their first Super League win away from home.

The Centurions, who were recently knocked out of the Challenge Cup and beaten in their first Magic Weekend appearance last week, went ahead after Matty Fleming sent Dawson over in the right-hand corner.

And while Shaul levelled midway through the first-half for fourth-placed Hull, Dawson was quick to put the visitors up once again.

Steve Michaels thought he had restored parity nine minutes before the interval, but his try was ruled out because of a knock-on that led to the ball arriving at his feet over the try line.

Vea then got on the end of a grubber kick from Josh Drinkwater to touch down, but again the hosts responded as Tuimavave strolled through without any resistance

Reynolds went over six minutes after the break, but the Black and Whites would not yield as Kelly broke away on a 40-metre run before sending Shaul in to score, only for the full-back to then allow Vea to grab a second of his own by failing to gather a high ball.

Despite the difficulty of the kick, Reynolds converted to put Leigh ahead 26-16, which proved enough as Hull's Jansin Turgut was denied a try for a forward pass and Josh Griffin went close before Kelly's converted try with less than five minutes remaining made for a nervy finish.

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford:

"We started the game at Leigh Centurions tempo and we finished it at Hull FC's tempo,"

"Confidence is a funny thing and you forget how to catch a pass like we were three weeks ago.

"We have to play at a tempo to allow us to get confidence back. It was a really slow ruck all game but we need to adjust to that.

"Saturday's defeat had a knock on effect on players' mindset but that will come as soon as we start playing at the tempo we want to play at."

Leigh head coach Neil Jukes told BBC Radio Manchester:

"I'm really pleased for everybody especially the fans that tuned up here tonight on Bank Holiday weekend.

"The players worked so hard and it is so difficult when you seeing working hard and sometimes just missing out.

"It is really difficult to keep motivating them and telling them there is light at the end of the tunnel from what we did last year.

"The staff are working harder than even and sticking together is key from the top with the owner to the guys that are on the bench supporting us."

Hull FC: Shaul; Michaels, Tuimavave, Griffin, Rawsthorne; Kelly, Sneyd; Bowden, Houghton, Watts, Manu, Minichiello, Green.

Replacements: Turgut, Fash, Downs, Washbrook.

Leigh Centurions: McNally; Dawson, Fleming, Paterson, Brown; Reynolds, Drinkwater; Weston, Hood, Acton, Vea, Hansen, Stewart.

Replacements: Pelissier, Tickle, Hopkins, Burr.

Referee: Ben Thaler.

Top Stories