Super League: Warrington Wolves 22-20 Wakefield Trinity

Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown, scorer of Warrington's third try, is with his fourth Super League club, having also crossed for Wigan, Huddersfield and Widnes in his 121-try career haul
Betfred Super League
Warrington (6) 22
Tries: Atkins, Hill, Brown, Lineham Goals: Patton 3
Wakefield (14) 20
Tries: Gibson, Caton-Brown, Johnstone Goals: Finn 4

Resurgent Warrington claimed their fourth straight Super League win as they came from behind to beat Wakefield Trinity at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

After trailing 20-6, second-half tries from Chris Hill, Kevin Brown and Tom Lineham, two minutes from time, added to Ryan Atkins' first-half effort.

Declan Patton missed with one of his four conversion attempts.

But Wire outscored Trinity four tries to three from Ashley Gibson, Mason Caton-Brown and Tom Johnstone.

Liam Finn kicked three conversions and a penalty for Trinity, who remain seventh, but now only a point ahead of Warrington, who climb above St Helens to eighth, having totally put behind their six-game winless start by stretching their unbeaten run to five matches.

Warrington winger Tom Lineham scored his seventh try of the season to complete the turnaround at the Halliwell Jones
Warrington winger Tom Lineham scored his seventh try of the season to complete the turnaround at the Halliwell Jones

Wakefield made a dream start, hitting their hosts with two tries in two minutes to take an early 12-0 lead, Kyle Wood kicking ahead for Gibson to touch down before Jacob Miller broke from deep and the supporting Caton-Brown was on hand to take the stand-off's pass to score under the posts.

Although Patton and Stefan Ratchford combined to send centre Atkins off on an 80-metre run from deep to get Wire on the scoreboard with a converted try, Finn's penalty earned a 14-6 interval lead.,

And the visitors still looked to be on their way to a comfortable victory when winger Johnstone scored their third try early in the second half.

But, although weakened by the loss of suspended duo Ben Westwood and Daryl Clark, as well as Mike Cooper, injured against Huddersfield on Easter Monday, tries by Hill and Brown set up a frantic finish capped by Lineham's spectacular winning dive for the corner.

Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"The character isn't in question at all. Some of our processes and methods are questionable but the players are trying hard in all departments - and sometimes a little bit too hard.

"The desire is to play the ball quickly. But there were errors and we were dropping the ball which are just little lapses in concentration. We need to be better because it's hurting us.

"We felt if we held the lion's share of the ball we would score points and we also felt if we gave the ball over to Wakefield they would score points because they are a dangerous and good attacking team.

"But you can't be too critical because for a lot of the players it's their fourth game in two weeks and rugby league is too hard to play physically and mentally in that space of time."

Wakefield coach Chris Chester:

"It was one of those games that just got away from us. It's a tough one to take because we were the best team for large parts of the game and we have just come up short again.

"I'm proud of the boys' efforts. To come to Warrington and be really disappointed with a loss just shows how far we have come in a such a short space of time.

"We just needed to be a little bit smarter in the second half. Our game management needed to be better to slow the game down. We played like we were chasing the game.

"But the effort was fantastic and two weeks on the bounce we should have got something. It's been tough just talking to the boys after the game because they are gutted."

Warrington: Ratchford; Evans, Livett, Atkins, Lineham; Patton, Gidley; Hill, Dwyer, Sims, Jullien, Hughes, Westerman.

Replacements: Philbin, Brown, G King, Savelio.

Wakefield: Jowitt; Jones-Bishop, Gibson, Caton-Brown, Johnstone; Miller, Finn; England, Wood, Fifita, Hadley, Kirmond, Arona.

Replacements: Williams, Batchelor, Hirst, Huby.

Referee: Phil Bentham (RFL).

Top Stories