Super League: Catalans Dragons 14-14 Widnes Vikings

Rhys Hanbury
Rhys Hanbury's late try was enough to level for Widnes
Betfred Super League
Catalans (14) 14
Tries: Wiliame, Myler Goals: Walsh 3
Widnes (6) 14
Tries: Ah Van, Olbison, Hanbury Goals: Hanbury

Rhys Hanbury's late try earned Widnes Vikings a first point of 2017 in atrocious conditions against Catalans Dragons at the Stade Gilbert Brutus.

After a first-half in which Widnes were dominated by Catalans, who scored tries from Brayden Wiliame and Richie Myler, they fought back in the second period.

Patrick Ah Van's try at the end of the first 40 was followed by Tom Olbison and Hanbury scores to level things up.

Luke Walsh went for a late drop-goal in the mud for Catalans, but missed.

Hanbury proved the hero for Widnes and surpassed 500 career points with his haul, but could have secured a first win for his side had he slotted one of the two conversion attempts that were missed.

Perpignan's climate usually suits the home side, with high temperatures and hard, running-friendly surfaces, but neither side found their rhythm on rain-soaked turf that cut up throughout.

Widnes are used to a synthetic field at their home ground and initially found the going difficult, as Catalans opened up a 14-0 lead when Wiliame went in on the left and then forced an error which Myler capitalised on to score.

However, the French club's grip on the game, and 100% record, was ended by a spirited Vikings display, typified by playmaker Chris Bridge who created Olbison's try and held up a number of Catalans raids on the goal-line.

Catalans head coach Laurent Frayssinous: "In the second half, both offensively and defensively, we weren't good enough. We didn't play like we did in the first 35 minutes and that is disappointing.

"Credit to Widnes, they put themselves in a position where they were able to win the game and that is a credit to them, but we should never have been in a position to not win that game.

"That is what we shared in the dressing room after the game, we have to be consistent throughout the whole game and not just for 35 minutes."

Widnes head coach Denis Betts: "It's remarkable really, we've come over to the south of France for a game of rugby and we're heading home to get away from the rain.

"We came here with good intent and we really thought we could do something here today and looking at building on our performance last week [a two-point loss to Wigan] which I felt we did, but only in the sense of our effort.

"We had 35 per cent of the ball in the first half at a 50 per cent completion rate and to be only 14-6 down, I thought we were very fortunate."

Catalans: Bosc; Broughton, Inu, Wiliame, Thornley; Walsh, Myler; Bird, Garcia, Horo, Burgess, Casty, Aiton.

Replacements: Anderson, Simon, Da Costa, Margalet.

Widnes: Hanbury; Thompson, Armstrong, Runciman, Ah Van; Bridge, Craven; Dudson, White, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill.

Replacements: Heremaia, Leuluai, Olbison, J. Chapelhow.

Referee: Chris Kendall (RFL)

Top Stories


Elsewhere on the BBC