Super League: Huddersfield Giants 18-32 Wigan Warriors

Liam Farrell
Liam Farrell is the cousin of former Wigan captain Andy Farrell
First Utility Super League
Huddersfield (12) 18
Tries: Simpson, Wardle, Brough Goals: Brough (3)
Wigan (12) 32
Tries: Burgess, Farrell (2), Charnley (2), Bateman Goals: Smith (4)

A dominant second-half performance gave Wigan victory at Huddersfield.

Jared Simpson gave Giants the lead before Liam Farrell put in Joe Burgess and Matty Smith levelled the scores.

Joe Wardle put Huddersfield back in front, but Farrell dotted down on the stroke of half-time to make it 12-12.

Wigan then went ahead through Josh Charnley, before Danny Brough ran in a try from 90 metres, but three further tries from Farrell, Charnley and John Bateman secured the Warriors' victory.

Full-back Simpson, 19, marked his debut with a try when he wriggled free from Matty Smith following a pass from Brough, who added the extras.

Farrell then skipped round Kyle Wood and offloaded to Burgess for his 17th try of the season before Smith slotted the conversion.

Huddersfield could have regained the lead from the re-start when Matty Bowen dropped Smith's teasing kick, but the Giants failed to capitalise.

Joe Burgess
Joe Burgess has scored 17 tries for Wigan Warriors this season

The home side continued to dominate and were back in front 10 minutes before the break when Wardle broke through the defence following Farrell's penalty on the last play for holding down in the tackle and Smith again added the two.

Wardle should have made it 18-6 before the interval when he was clean through, but he could not find Simpson and spilt the ball.

The Giants were then punished for their errors on the stroke of half-time when Burgess turned provider for Farrell who raced through to make it 12-12 at the break.

Wigan took the lead for the first time just minutes into the second-half when Bateman's good footwork released Charnley who charged over in the corner on his 150th appearance for the Warriors.

But the lead changed again when Charnley tried to offload on the last and the ball bounced up into the arms of Brough, who ran the length of the field to score.

Dan Sarginson then rose higher than the Giants defence to nudge the ball down to Farrell who scored his second try of the game, before a good break from Bowen set up Charnley for his second.

Warriors secured the win through Bateman who skipped through to touch down next to the posts.

Wigan remain in third place in the Super League table, but have extended their lead to three points over fourth-placed Huddersfield with six regular rounds remaining.

Huddersfield coach Paul Anderson:

"I thought we were very good in the first half and we should have been a couple of scores in front at half-time but they are fine margins in sport.

"I thought our attitude in the main was very good but you can't defend nearly all the half on your own try line without conceding points.

"He's [Jared Simpson] shocked a few people around the place. There are very few people who could have scored that try. It couldn't have gone any better for him."

Wigan coach Shaun Wane:

"We were not at our best in the first half, far from it, but we had a chat at half-time about the areas where we needed to improve and I thought we were very good in the second half.

"I badly wanted to get the win for Lockers (O'Loughlin), I think that's why I was so emotional at half-time, it meant a lot to me.

"It was satisfying to come up with that, against a very well-coached team who have the best defence in the competition."

Huddersfield: Simpson, McGillvary, Hughes, Connor, Broughton, Brough, Wood, Mullally, Leeming, Huby, Wardle, Lawrence, J. Johnson.

Replacements: Robinson, Crabtree, Kopczak, Ta'ai.

Wigan: Bowen, Charnley, Tomkins, Sarginson, Burgess, Williams, Smith, Mossop, McIlorum, Flower, Bateman, L Farrell, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Powell, Tautai, Patrick, Sutton.

Referee: James Child

Attendance: 7,307